ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fed up with car park dents? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/353313-fed-up-with-car-park-dents.html)

Chris L 15 August 2004 01:07 PM

Fed up with car park dents?

This might be the answer.... Spotted in the Sunday Telegraph Park Smart Magnetic Door Guard. Basically a PVC block with magnetic strips on the back. One of those 'now why didn't I think of that' products :)

If you are going to order, beware they have a back log at the moment due to the publicity they've received from the Telegraph lately.

Chris

Abdabz 15 August 2004 01:15 PM

Not a bad idea but they'd just get nicked round here - waste of cash - thievin scum type human folk... Same ones who unscrewed the arial off my brothers car last night - scousers invading tellins - they get where bacteria cant...

Chris L 15 August 2004 01:20 PM

Well that's true - as the bloke in the Telegraph said 'Don't use them in Croydon as they will probably be nicked' :) Speaking as an ex-Croydon area resident, I can vouch for that statement :)

Chris

Dream Weaver 15 August 2004 03:06 PM

Wonder what would happen when someone accidentally moves it with their trolley though, and the magnets scratch the whole side of the car :D

Simon Lau 15 August 2004 03:31 PM

I bet some scrote would key above and below the 'Door Guard'...

gsm1 15 August 2004 04:30 PM

The Americans have been using those for some time. The problem is that unless the car is totally clean the magnetic surface will grind dirt against the bodywork when you apply and remove it. Also drivers who deliberately bash your door will go out of their way to hit cars. And, they don't protect against the worst offenders which is the top edge of someone's rear door.
Ideal for garages when storing customer cars but overkill for everyday use.

andypugh2000 15 August 2004 06:55 PM

I am going to open a supermarket advertising double wide parking spaces for dent conscious customers, half the parking but double the business me thinks, this time next year i will be a millionaire rodney ;)

Spoon 15 August 2004 08:53 PM

Already had thought about the idea in the 80's, but stacked it due to the thoughts above.

It reminds me of the more modern folding mirror theory too.

When these strips are fitted, already thoughtless people will take even more liberty as somebody has provided them with a false boundary.

As far as the folding mirrors are concerned I've seen no end of times, people pushing trolleys between two cars if one of the cars has it's mirrors folded. It's almost an attraction to risk takers.

Then there's the theft element of course.

paulr 15 August 2004 09:10 PM

I either park right in the corner or take up 2 spaces.

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 August 2004 09:40 PM

Linky doesnt work....sounds interesting though.

Bob

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 August 2004 09:44 PM

Website must have been down....works fine now :)

Bob

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 August 2004 09:48 PM

Just ordered mine.....will keep you all posted.

Bob

AndyC_772 15 August 2004 09:50 PM

I can't help but think they'd be more effective with coarse sandpaper attached along their length. Why shouldn't the careless door-openers' cars come off worst?

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 August 2004 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I can't help but think they'd be more effective with coarse sandpaper attached along their length. Why shouldn't the careless door-openers' cars come off worst?

Because they dont care what happens to there car.

*thinks about putting spikes on*

;)

Bob

AndyC_772 15 August 2004 09:58 PM

All the more reason if you ask me. Group buy on sanding belts?

mrklaw 16 August 2004 09:27 AM

The Americans have been using those for some time
Yeah, but then they drive around with 'car bras' on :/ Why buy a nice looking car just to put a gimp mask on?

I don't see the concern with grit. If you car is really dirty, then maybe, but surely you don't slide them on, you just put them directly on and off, so any scratching would be minimised.