ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   might be a stupid question (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/353304-might-be-a-stupid-question.html)

russ. 15 August 2004 12:14 PM

might be a stupid question

if i jack my car up at the back with just the rear right wheel of the ground should it spin freely and if not what could it be
any ideas would be welcome thanx

16vmarc 15 August 2004 12:21 PM

Handbrake off in gear??

russ. 15 August 2004 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Handbrake off in gear??

handbrake off not in gear

16vmarc 15 August 2004 12:25 PM

Dunno then!!

Turbotits 15 August 2004 12:28 PM

No cant spin mine,I think you have to have both wheels off the ground because of the lsd.

russ. 15 August 2004 12:30 PM

cheers will try to get both wheels up and have a go

Turbotits 15 August 2004 12:37 PM

Even with both wheels off the ground they do not spin easily although they will turn,Do not expect them to spin like a car that has no drive on the rear cos it aint gonna happen.

Simon Lau 15 August 2004 03:24 PM

might be a stupid question...

...but why do you want to get your wheel to spin?

ALi-B 15 August 2004 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by russ.
cheers will try to get both wheels up and have a go

In order for them to spin freely you need at least 3 wheels off the ground.

With just the rears in the air you'll only be able to spin them very slowly, and it will take quite a bit of effort...try to spin them fast and the LSD will lock up.

Chock both front wheels in both directions as it will try to move off the axle stands.

russ. 15 August 2004 05:01 PM

should have explained my stupid question.I took my car to a garage because i could here a noise from the brakes but could not tell where from so asked them to check them for me. they said that the rear brakes were locked and showed me them trying to spin the wheel with great difficulty. so i would need new rear discs and pads at a cost of £260.
i took the car home and had a look at the discs when i found hardly any wear on the discs at all and had this confirmed by a mate who now a fair bit about cars
So i was wondering if they should spin freely or if they had just left the hand brake on slightly
and i still dont know where the noise is comming from

Red Rocket 11166 15 August 2004 06:15 PM

Hi Russ,

What year is the car ? It could be your handbrake cable sticking.

Get the back end off the floor and try turning the wheels with HB on, then let it off and see what the difference is. As said, you will have some resistance at the wheels due to the 4 wheel drive.

Cheers Red.

russ. 15 August 2004 07:13 PM

thanx red, i will try that tomorrow and see
by the way it's a my99

also where do scooby drivers in notts take there cars for servis and repairs cheers russ

Red Rocket 11166 16 August 2004 12:36 AM

Russ,

Your best bet is to start a new thread with - Where to get car serviced in Notts. :idea:

Cheers Red.

ALi-B 16 August 2004 01:58 AM

i could here a noise from the brakes but could not tell where from so asked them to check them for me
What noise is this? is whilst your driving or just whilst braking?

If it's whilst driving without using the brakes, try pulling the hand brake lightly...if the noise stops - that's your problem, quite a common too.