ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Forester Turbo S vs Forester XT? (Safety) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/353297-forester-turbo-s-vs-forester-xt-safety.html)

Andy Tang 15 August 2004 11:52 AM

Forester Turbo S vs Forester XT? (Safety)

There are no Euroncap results for the Subaru Forester, but can anyone help with the safety features that the older (Forester Turbo S 2000-on) and new (Forester XT) Foresters have?

Is there someone at Subaru I can speak to, or somewhere online that will have the information?

I'm interested in the various air bags, the side impact protection bars, stc, and how they differ between the two.

Are there any crash tests available on either car? It doesn't matter if they are based in the US, or worldwide, etc.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Neil Smalley 15 August 2004 01:39 PM

Andy,

The new XT gets top marks in the US safety tests. If you are thinking of getting one, do so. It's a superb all round car. A lot more versitile than a scoob. You can even tart one up ;)

www.subaru.com

yvette296 15 August 2004 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
There are no Euroncap results for the Subaru Forester, but can anyone help with the safety features that the older (Forester Turbo S 2000-on) and new (Forester XT) Foresters have?

Is there someone at Subaru I can speak to, or somewhere online that will have the information?

I'm interested in the various air bags, the side impact protection bars, stc, and how they differ between the two.

Are there any crash tests available on either car? It doesn't matter if they are based in the US, or worldwide, etc.

Thanks in advance
Andy

have you tried the actual ncap website? Much more info on there than you find anywhere else... the address is : www.euroncap.com (I am sure it's .com) Good Luck :idea:

stevem2k 15 August 2004 02:30 PM

John @ Cheam will have all that stuff Andy.......

Steve

Andy Tang 15 August 2004 03:02 PM

Thanks for all the info!

I just have one more person to convince!! :eek:

Neil Smalley 15 August 2004 03:17 PM

Andy,

If it's a new one you are after, it might be worth waiting as there is rumoured to be a 2.5 litre turbo XT coming soon

chris's scooby 15 August 2004 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
Andy,

If it's a new one you are after, it might be worth waiting as there is rumoured to be a 2.5 litre turbo XT coming soon

Is it coming to the UK?

Neil Smalley 15 August 2004 03:22 PM

rumoured to be, but nothing for definate. If it was I'd expect to hear of it in September when the 05 Forrester comes out

chris's scooby 15 August 2004 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
rumoured to be, but nothing for definate. If it was I'd expect to hear of it in September when the 05 Forrester comes out

Thanks Neil, i'll keep an eye out for it. My better half has decided she wants a Forester later on this year and was thinking about going for a JDM STi but this may make her think about sticking with a UK car.

Chris

Andy Tang 15 August 2004 03:34 PM

The JDM Forester STI is available via grey importers, but it's close to £28k!! :eek:

To be honest I've had a look at some XT prices, but I think they may be out of my price range, so I'll probably look at newer S-Turbo (IIRC MY00/W-reg and newer), as they had the mild facelift and the wider rear track.

chris's scooby 15 August 2004 03:36 PM

Has anyone driven the JDM car?

Andy Tang 15 August 2004 03:42 PM

Nearly £27k from David Hendry Cars, although I haven't been fortunate enough to test drive one!

No-bars Krud 15 August 2004 08:36 PM

Andy

We had an S-Turbo (Y reg) - when the XT came out we took one for a test drive, and that was it - ordered on the spot. The old one was very good, but the XT was a significant improvement in all areas!!!!!

The 2.5 in the US is much quicker - 0-60 in 6.5 secs with loads more torque, apparently. I do hope that engine comes over here!

Keith

stevem2k 15 August 2004 11:28 PM

You (and/or Caroline :) )can have a go in mine if you want Andy.......though it's been slightly fettled.. Vonnie drives it everyday & she's quite happy.

Steve

Andy Tang 16 August 2004 09:37 AM

Steve,

It's very generous of you, but I decided a long time ago not to drive other peoples cars! I know I'll be careful, but there's no guarantee for the other drivers on the road!! :eek:

I've driven a Forester Sport (2.0 NA) and I was quite impressed with the visability, performance, etc. I notice that Cheam Motors have a secondhand Forester on their forecourt, so we can go harrass them! (I don't have an issue with driving dealer/loan cars ;) )