ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anybody watching the olympics opening ceremony (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/352950-anybody-watching-the-olympics-opening-ceremony.html)

ScoobyDriverWannabe 13 August 2004 08:45 PM

Anybody watching the olympics opening ceremony

Suprising how many countries there is iv neaver heard of, the federated states of micronesia for example. Are people from this country really small ?

andrewdelvard 13 August 2004 08:50 PM

Tell you what I want to know. What is the difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom? The Great Britain team (I think) are always referred to as just that. Great Britain team, Never the United Kingdom team. But the flag is also the flag of the United Kingdom...Can someone explain please?

Paulo P 13 August 2004 09:37 PM

I've got a film on instead :rolleyes:

andrewdelvard 13 August 2004 09:45 PM

Very dull so far..:yawn:

gareth123 13 August 2004 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
What is the difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom?

Are there any Northern Irish in the GB team? That's the difference between GB and UK.

scoobynutta555 13 August 2004 09:59 PM

very boring.

I loved the jet pack thing in the US games years ago.

unclebuck 13 August 2004 10:04 PM

LOL at DJ Tiesto playing the music. Very appropriate for all those drugged up athletes.;)

"Tiesto, a 35-year-old Amsterdam resident whose real name is Tijs Verwest, said Thursday: "I don't think my music is really drug-related."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...106EDT0025.DTL

ROTFLMAO

UB

andrewdelvard 13 August 2004 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by gareth123
Are there any Northern Irish in the GB team? That's the difference between GB and UK.

??? Sorry you'll just have to spell it out for me. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.

gareth123 13 August 2004 10:23 PM

My understanding is

GB = England, Wales and the Scotch
UK = GB + Northern Ireland

So there shouldn't be any Irish in the GB team. But you say there are 3, so that makes no sense :)

rik-1 13 August 2004 10:29 PM

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.
UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
There are, I believe eight competitors from Northern Ireland. Seven will compete for Ireland and one for Great Britain.

andrewdelvard 13 August 2004 10:30 PM

The 3 was a typo :D

The full name of the Great Britian team is: Great Britain & Northern Ireland Olympic team.
So, I just want to understand what the subtle difference is between Great Britain & Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom.

gareth123 13 August 2004 10:52 PM

There isn't any. The correct name of the United Kindom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

Ask the IOC why the team isn't called the UK team. Makes no sense to me. In fact, it's all Greek.

So is this stuff worth watching? It's not on here until 8PM PST.

Prince Popeye 13 August 2004 11:49 PM

nope

boxst 13 August 2004 11:54 PM

Hello

Isn't there supposed to be the beautiful and crazy Bjork in there somewhere?

Steve.

gareth123 14 August 2004 12:53 AM

I didn't know the IOC had sanctioned Making Increasingly Bad Albums as a Olympic event :( What next, synchronised swimming?

Leslie 14 August 2004 09:07 AM

I thought the ceremony was pretty good apart from Bjork! I suppose I preferred something that was not quite so much "in your face" for a change. It did take a long time for the arrival of all the teams though, largest number of countries ever at 202 they say.

Looking forward to the games anyway.

Les

Simon Lau 14 August 2004 09:21 AM

made it a date not to watch it and thank goodness when the local news team said that Hong Kong were second from last to come out...LOL :D

Franx 14 August 2004 02:23 PM

Went on a bit, didn't it....
I'd rather watch the sport part of the Games:)