ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   "Baby on board" signs/stickers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/352430-baby-on-board-signs-stickers.html)

allywrx 12 August 2004 12:43 PM

"Baby on board" signs/stickers

What is your views on these "must have" items? :Whatever_
What do you think when you see one?
What is the point of them, really? :Whatever_

I would do everything in my power to avoid an incident with another vehicle regardless if a "baby was onboard" :)

Surely "Old person on board" would be a better one so we could stay well clear of them and their sometimes hazardous driving :D

SiPie 12 August 2004 12:45 PM

Complete waste of time IMHO

ie. I'm skidding and must make a mental note to avoid collision with the vehicle displaying the baby on board sticker

or

is it just a father's boast......

No blanks here ;)

boxst 12 August 2004 12:45 PM

Hello

There was a rant in a book I was reading recently. The author decided that he would like a sticker that said:

"I don't have a baby, but please don't crash and kill me either".

I see very little point in them personally (although my wife does actually have one on her car).

Steve.

Paulo P 12 August 2004 12:47 PM

I think they are a load of bollox :( As if anyone is less likely to crash into you just because you have a sad sign in the back window :rolleyes: It's safe to say that I'll never have one of these signs when we have kids ;)

Bravo2zero_sps 12 August 2004 12:48 PM

I have always thought of these as totally pointless, but someone recently pointed out on a similar thread for emergency services in any rta it means they will search the car for a baby which may not be easily visible with a quick check in through the windows to see if any people are in the car. On that basis I can understand they will be life saving.

Paulo P 12 August 2004 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by boxst

(although my wife does actually have one on her car).

Steve.

If mine ever had one then she could have a divorced Mother sign underneath too :lol1:

ALi-B 12 August 2004 12:51 PM

Normally I see this as a warning to other drivers that the rear view mirror will be adjusted so they can see the kid(s) in the rear seat. So be prepared to be cut up ;)

Nimbus 12 August 2004 12:51 PM

I'm sure there not there as a incentive for you to avoid crashing into them, but it might make you think twice about trying to intimidate the drive because they aren't driving quick enough for you...

JDM 12 August 2004 12:52 PM

Baby on board sticker= Idiot on board, avoid at all costs.

That piece of logic must have saved me from having an accident with one of these muppets, whenever I see one I give even more space and leeway as they are obviously idiots.

allywrx 12 August 2004 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by **************
I have always thought of these as totally pointless, but someone recently pointed out on a similar thread for emergency services in any rta it means they will search the car for a baby which may not be easily visible with a quick check in through the windows to see if any people are in the car. On that basis I can understand they will be life saving.

Good point, never thought of that :)

Chris L 12 August 2004 12:53 PM

I always took it to mean that the parents had balanced their kid on a piece of 6x4 timber - hence baby on board. Always struck me as kind of dangerous :)

Utter waste of time IMHO. No doubt someone somewhere has made a fortune out of them.

Chris

Allan 12 August 2004 12:53 PM

I thought they were for notifying helpers, that there is a person on board who cannot help themselves if the vehicle is involved in an accident.

Allan

scoobynutta555 12 August 2004 12:53 PM

http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/s...s/hlovejoy.gif
Will somebody think of the children! :rolleyes:

Completley pointless stickers/hanging things.

Gidney&Knowlesy 12 August 2004 12:53 PM

I personally find them very useful - I never park next to these people in supermarkets etc..... ;)

Chris L 12 August 2004 12:54 PM

:) - Good point

Allan 12 August 2004 12:54 PM

oooh beat me to it

JDM 12 August 2004 12:54 PM

That sort of makes sense, I take back my comments about idiots. Could potentially cause problems in a risky situation though ie car on fire, emergency services risk lives trying to look for a baby that isn't there.

SiPie 12 August 2004 12:56 PM

I thought they were for notifying helpers, that there is a person on board who cannot help themselves if the vehicle is involved in an accident.
My brother couldn't help myself when he lay unconscious with broken legs, arms, ribs etc

I guess he just forgot to carry his helpless person on board sticker that day :rolleyes:

gsm1 12 August 2004 12:56 PM

Is it just me or do you find people with defective brake lights are more likely to have one of these signs in their window?

Hanslow 12 August 2004 12:57 PM

I always thought that it meant that the driver would be paying little attention to the road ahead and would be swerving all over the road due to the fumbling around in the back trying to pick up the dropped bottle/dummy/whatever or sort out whatever is the matter with the nipper. Apparantly ;)

JDM 12 August 2004 12:58 PM

I find that they often have defective brains as well as lights.

Allan 12 August 2004 12:58 PM

True, I doubt they remove them view when only popping down the shops.

Dracoro 12 August 2004 12:59 PM

But what if they didn't have a baby on board yet still had the sticker on? The emergency services could waste precious life saving time looking for a baby that isn't there. Anyway, I'd assume that the emergency services would look properly at an accident scene anyway. If they can't see a baby in a car then somethings amiss in their observation skills. One would assume that the baby would be strapped in a baby seat too which in effect doubles the size of the baby. There'll generally be enough evidence looking in a car as to whether a baby should be present or not (nappies, baby stuff etc.).

Actually, why not put '3 people on board' stickers to 'help' too? :rolleyes:

Bravo2zero_sps 12 August 2004 01:00 PM

SiPie your brother I would assume have been an adult at the time and easily seen through any window of a car, a baby however that may have been flung from its seat into a footwell etc is not easily seen :rolleyes:

Edited as just seen the wink :p

pugoetru 12 August 2004 01:01 PM

does ps lewis have an old coger on board sticker then ?

Chris L 12 August 2004 01:01 PM

Exactly what did the emergency services do before these stickers existed then?

JDM 12 August 2004 01:02 PM

A very good professional job without the need for warning stickers.

Paulo P 12 August 2004 01:05 PM

Personally I think they should say

Selfish fcuker on board
;)

messiah 12 August 2004 01:05 PM

Well I'm intending on getting one - but I'll be adding the following note to it...

"Baby on board - if you park too close and I can't get the kid in it's seat, you're gonna get the pram down your paintwork"

Dracoro 12 August 2004 01:09 PM

But what if they didn't have a baby on board yet still had the sticker on? The emergency services could waste precious life saving time looking for a baby that isn't there. Anyway, I'd assume that the emergency services would look properly at an accident scene anyway. If they can't see a baby in a car then somethings amiss in their observation skills. One would assume that the baby would be strapped in a baby seat too which in effect doubles the size of the baby. There'll generally be enough evidence looking in a car as to whether a baby should be present or not (nappies, baby stuff etc.).

Actually, why not put '3 people on board' stickers to 'help' too? :rolleyes: