ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Driving a porsche in Hungary? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/352298-driving-a-porsche-in-hungary.html)

GCollier 11 August 2004 08:13 PM

Driving a porsche in Hungary?

I don't post here very often nowadays, having moved on from scooby ownership, but I'd be very glad of some advice...

I'm planning a holiday later in the year which includes a drive across Europe from London (via Eurotunnel) to Lake Balaton in Hungary. I was originally planning to take my porsche 996, but a couple of people have told me it would be unwise to be driving such an obviously flashy car in Hungary, and that I'll end up getting hijacked and robbed. My brother-in-law was robbed at gunpoint two years ago there, albeit at night in Budapest.

So I'd really appreciate some advice from anyone who's visited this part of the world by car, as to whether I should take the porsche or whether we should take our other car - a decidedly less flashy skoda octavia estate. Are the people I've spoken to just scare-mongering?

Thanks,

Gary.

BOB.T 11 August 2004 08:32 PM

You'd best take the Skoda, I'll look after the 996 for you:)

:D:D:D

Chris L 11 August 2004 09:01 PM

Gary - saw your post on S9s aswell. To be honest, I can't believe it is any worse than driving through Slough (I'm not joking!).

Chris

12LEE 11 August 2004 09:18 PM

I import products from a Hungarian company. Their MD tells me that 4 years ago, his 2 week old Audi A6 Avant was stolen from his father in-law's driveway and never seen again.

Chris L 11 August 2004 09:32 PM

Like I said, no worse than driving through Slough then :)

AndyC_772 11 August 2004 10:27 PM

Would you drive a Porsche through Slough??

Goochie 12 August 2004 10:00 AM

I think driving through SLough would be OK - its when you stop that you have to worry!!

Freak 12 August 2004 10:06 AM

they have your rims at traffic lights in slough....

I remember reading about the gumball last year- they ahd a few problems, but it was nearer to russia that they happened with russian mafia.

As long as you take the same precautions as you would anywhere i cant see a problem. Although your insurance may see that differently.

Given the choice of porker or skoda i know which one id be taking

yoza 12 August 2004 10:13 AM

Write to, ring or fax this geeza.

Dosza Gyorgy u1-3
Nepstadion
1143 Budapest
Hungary

Tel- 36-1-25206701
Fax- 36-1-2510107

He will let you know what firearms are legal to carry for self protection, even the scores up a bit. :)

Chris L 12 August 2004 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Would you drive a Porsche through Slough??

Well I have seen a Pagani Zonda in Slough, so I guess yes I would :) Windows would be up and doors locked though...

Chris

GCollier 12 August 2004 11:59 PM

Thanks for the advice folks.

I'm still in a dilemna, especially as my wife will be in the car and 16 month old baby in the back. So carrying firearms are out, did make me smile though :)

I've driven through Slough a few times in the porsche. Next time I'll keep my doors locked :)

Diesel 13 August 2004 10:37 PM

When I was there last we had 3 bodyguards - something to do with my Hungarian mate having shagged a local Maffia man's missus :eek:

I think you should be fine up Balaton - just dont park it in the street in Budapest; same precautions as back home really.

Fab place & fab lakes & GOD can they drink!

D

Chris L 13 August 2004 10:44 PM

I know I joke about driving through Slough - but we've had enough incidents at work that we now have signs at the exit of the car park to remind people to close their windows and lock the doors! Wonderful place (making mental note to find a new job elsewhere...)

Chris