ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   What do I need for a 99 turbo upgrade?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/352257-what-do-i-need-for-a-99-turbo-upgrade.html)

Twigster Home 11 August 2004 06:28 PM

What do I need for a 99 turbo upgrade??

Right, I have decided that the best route for me to go down is the VF34/28 turbo upgrade route. So what will I need to run properly with either of these turbo's??
I know a re-map is a must, and I have been advised that an uprated fuel pump and pressure regulator may be necessary (is it??), but what else would I need in order to make sure that it all runs safely??

Thanks guys....

stevebt 11 August 2004 08:53 PM

best to say what you already have fitted then people could give there opinions from that :)

Aztec Performance Ltd 12 August 2004 03:19 PM

How did you choose a VF34/28? After looking into it a TD05 seemed best for MY99.

Bob

Richard Curtis 12 August 2004 10:24 PM

Matt - I fitted a new pump and pressure reg when I changed over to a VF28. But when it was mapped at Powersation I was told there was no need to turn up the pressure and it was left at stock. It was fuelling ok (apparently) with the 380cc injectors upto 18PSI boost, with your bigger injectors I can't see you having a problem.

However - saying that, I do now have the option of upping the pressure if needed with further mods and the pressure reg is a hell of lot easier to fit when also changing the turbo (to remove the old regulator and fit a bypass).

What boost controller do you have?

Rich

Twigster Home 13 August 2004 03:48 PM

I don't mate, just running an ECU upgrade!
WIll be getting it mapped when I fit the new turbo!

Twigster Home 14 August 2004 09:19 AM

I already have a full de-cat, samco hoses, K+N induction and ported headers on the car.
(thanks steve ;) )

TonyBurns 14 August 2004 09:40 AM

You want to look at your brakes/clutch/gearbox before you go any further.
By the looks of what your doing, your wanting over 300bhp, this is a critical point in a uk turbo's life as the gearbox and clutch aint up to running that sort of bhp/torque and will die a death, so best get it done beforehand rather than have your car off the road when it does eventually break (which it will).
You will also need a brake upgrade, a 4 or 6 pot kit should do the trick, its going to be a BIG improvement over the standard items (which i thought still sucked even with 215bhp).

Tony:D

Twigster Home 16 August 2004 09:11 AM

Have already done the brakes and suspension!
Running Godspeed discs and ferodo DS2500 pads.

Clutch is also due to be replaced with an AP organic one shortly, all I need to know is exactly what I will need for the turbo upgrade!

Thanks guys.......

TonyBurns 16 August 2004 10:07 AM

Gearbox, speak to Rich Wild at Jap innovations about what hes done to his car (the MY97 one).

Tony:D