ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Oil coolers (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/352234-oil-coolers.html)

Granby 11 August 2004 04:23 PM

Oil coolers

Having heard various comments about the Impreza engine cooking it oil on high speed runs does anybody know if a oil cooler would be of any use and if so does anyone make a oil cooler kit for the Impreza.

Thanks
Granby

steve_g 11 August 2004 04:35 PM

David_Wallis 11 August 2004 04:35 PM

think automotive can supply all the bits :)

Granby 17 August 2004 08:45 PM

Anyone else

chrome 17 August 2004 09:20 PM

sure RCM/TSL etc can sell you a kit for a hefty sum ;)
you can find em in DemonTweeks 'red' catalogue too...

DW's suggestion is probably cheapest ;)

mikeesingh 18 August 2004 08:40 AM

scoobyclinic do a kit, using a mocal cooler, which is being fitted to my car this week
speak to adam or kev on 01246-590807

mikee

Johnny50 18 August 2004 09:29 AM

Just out of interest...what Oil temps do you guys get ?

I'm lucky if mine hits 90 degrees after hard driving ?

P20SPD 18 August 2004 09:40 AM

If your only seeing 90, then nothing to worry about if you are using a good oil

High speed runs at Elvington have seen my oil temps climb to 120 on several occassions, and i get 90 on cruising at 85/90mph, but then the 2.5's do appear to generate more heat.

Temps are measured in the oil gallery above no 3 on mine. If your measuring temps via the sump, i would add 10 degrees to what you see to give a realistic gallery reading.

Steven

mikeesingh 18 August 2004 09:43 AM

125+ degrees after 4 laps at dono, this is on a 2.2, never went that high on the old 2.0 (would get to 110/115 degrees but thas was after 7 or 8 laps) i think its more of a problem on the the bigger cc running alot more power

mikee

Johnny50 18 August 2004 10:30 AM

Good good...Thanks for that fellas.

Steven, my readings are taken from the sump, so as you say, realistically i'm probably 10 degrees up from on my guage. I'm using Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w/60.

Thanks again. And sorry to hijack the thread. :)

Granby 18 August 2004 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mikeesingh
scoobyclinic do a kit, using a mocal cooler, which is being fitted to my car this week
speak to adam or kev on 01246-590807

mikee

Thanks for that, how much are the kits and are you or scoobyclinic fitting the kit, if scoobyclinic how much again :) :) :)

Thanks to everyone else for there replys :notworthy

Granby 26 October 2004 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Granby
Having heard various comments about the Impreza engine cooking it oil on high speed runs does anybody know if a oil cooler would be of any use and if so does anyone make a oil cooler kit for the Impreza.

Thanks
Granby

I see JW Racing do a oil cooler kit

http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/acatalog...internals.html

has anyone got one of these and what are they like :)

Cheers
Granby

David_Wallis 27 October 2004 12:07 AM

Speak to think, Mocal or Scoobyclinic..

A off the shelf kit is no use depending on mods..

If you dont know whether you need one or not then you dont.

David

oilman 27 October 2004 01:18 AM

If you are running a true synthetic oil it will handle 90-110 degC and 130 degC for prolonged periods so no need for a cooler.

I know that the Kawasaki GP bikes that Silkolene sponsors needed oil coolers in the Quatar GP. With air temps at 45C, the oil was reaching 170C! In the UK, there isn’t much point in oil coolers when modern engines can keep a good oil pressure with thin oil. With some classic engines, such as BMC A and B, the oil pumps are struggling when the oil viscosity drops below about 15cSt, so they do need a cooler if pushed.

Over-cooled oil can be a hazard due to Air retention/cavitation etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

gravelexpress 27 October 2004 08:39 AM

The Greddy supra oil cooler fitted to my type R - reads 80 deg on long runs, but rarely the temperature rises beyond 70 deg when off boost.

megrac 27 October 2004 08:50 AM

wouldn't keeping your oil under 100C help with the overall cooling of the engine internals when puhing it really hard so all the cooling isn't left up to the water cooling system.
it should all help with keeping our head gaskets and engines togethers.

Mark A 27 October 2004 10:42 AM

I agree with megrac, the cooling should not be left to water alone.
Ron at Axis said that as a matter of precaution 2.5s should run an oil cooler. You must have the potential to produce 20% extra heat by increasing the capacity ?

Nothing expensive, just something put together from the DT catalogue or I'm going to look on E-bay for an oil cooler and pipes.

I just need to find the take off plate for a sensible price, anybody got any bright ideas ?

Mark A