ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Exhaust wrap (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/352219-exhaust-wrap.html)

SamUK 11 August 2004 03:30 PM

Exhaust wrap

Is it safe to have the down pipe wraped up in Exhaust wrap to keep the heat in?

Sam

AvalancheS8 11 August 2004 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SamUK
Is it safe to have the down pipe wraped up in Exhaust wrap to keep the heat in?

Sam

Yes. Also the noise.

SamUK 11 August 2004 03:37 PM

What if for any reason the heat can not go back, would it not rush forward in the turbo's? or is that me thinking stupid....?

Sam

RICH WILD 11 August 2004 04:04 PM

What if for any reason the heat can not go back, would it not rush forward in the turbo's? or is that me thinking stupid....?

Sam

Yes. :D

We wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe.

The wrap keeps the heat in the exhaust gases, more heat = more kinetic energy = faster gases = better flow out of the exhaust = more power

It is also done to help keep underbonnet temps down which is vital if you have an induction kit.

Rich

AvalancheS8 11 August 2004 04:05 PM

Sam

The heat in the air can only go with the air and carry on down the exhaust, although since the D.P itself will stay hotter the air will also stay hotter, so you will heat up the centre section more and the backbox. The heat in the actual metal of the downpipe will be prevented from radiating away so easily to the air but it will tend to flow through the D.P towards the cooler C.S, heat moves "downhill" towards lower temps. The turbo itself will already be hotter than the D.P, afterall, that's where the heat in the exhaust air came from. Since the D.P will be hotter than before the turbo will have less opportunity to shed heat to the D.P, so the turbo will stay a little hotter but not enough to worry about. Some people wrap the turbo too, in order to keep underbonnet temps down.

This is the real advantage of wrapping the D.P, it will keep the unerbonnet temps down, which equals cooler air into the engine, which equals more power. Also, it'll prevent you melting any wiring near the D.P.

911 11 August 2004 06:07 PM

In a much cruder way, this is what the heat shield metalwork does on a stock system.

StickyMicky 11 August 2004 06:10 PM

could you refit the standerd heat shields to a decat pipe?

or is there threads welded onto the standerd downpipe?

i was going to have a look today but i got so excited i just fitted the downpipe and vf23 as quick as i could and forgot all about it

forgot to connect the oil return pipe up and started it up and dropped il all over the drive :rolleyes:

lmao

took it for a spin just before, makes sum fooken noise :eek:

bangs and pops a bit and ive got a recirc valve fited :eek: