ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Tek 3 re-map and octane booster for safety factor (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/351982-tek-3-re-map-and-octane-booster-for-safety-factor.html)

aggs 10 August 2004 07:24 PM

Tek 3 re-map and octane booster for safety factor

Sill planning my mods and was thinking that if the Tek 3 map was carried out using Optimax, and after having carried this out mod.I started using octane booster at each fill up would this mean it would add a safety factor to the engine without having to add knock links and boost guages etc.?
As I believe this would make the engine run richer.
Car is a MY2000 Classic.
Do not really want "cockpit "full of add on guages.
Any thoughts?
Aggs

stevebt 10 August 2004 08:10 PM

it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to fit a knock link :)

taffyboyo 10 August 2004 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by aggs
Sill planning my mods and was thinking that if the Tek 3 map was carried out using Optimax, and after having carried this out mod.I started using octane booster at each fill up would this mean it would add a safety factor to the engine without having to add knock links and boost guages etc.?
As I believe this would make the engine run richer.
Car is a MY2000 Classic.
Do not really want "cockpit "full of add on guages.
Any thoughts?
Aggs

no it wouldnt mean it would be safer,
if the car is mapped to run on optimax then thats what it should be run on,
if you are going to want to use octane booster and optimax then this is what it should be mapped with in the tank, the difference would also be slightly better with the booster but a lot more hassle to keep doing and not really worth it imho,
but bearing in mind that I know bugger all ;)

Fangoria 10 August 2004 08:52 PM

taffyboyo

Yep you dont know much :p

My wrx04 has a tek 3 and was mapped on Optimax. However for a bit of added saftey if I know I'm gonna drive it energetically I do add a full bottle of Millers - its costs me feck all against my piece of mind

Sure its mapped to Optimax - but the mapper cant map for all eventualities - i.e. a really hot day, bad fuel batch, etc so a bottle of booster WILL give some added piece of mind........

I also have a 450+bhp sti5 in which I have a number of gauges.......however I will not be putting any gauges in my wrx04.................. I guess its all about being sensible......in the hot weather I dont run it at over 100mph for long periods of time - if ever for more than say 5 mins, I allow a minute of tickover when I stop the car and I check the oil level regularly.......................

Ok, Booster wont give me 100% comfort but then a knock link can be after the event - it might only take a little bit of det and the engine may give up............but this is worst case scenario - you do have to put faith in the person mapping the car..... e.g. Bob Rawle and Pat Hebborn are the only ones that appear to know what they are doing in the Scooby community

taffyboyo 10 August 2004 09:57 PM

told you I know bugger all :)

taffyboyo 10 August 2004 09:59 PM

at least I was right about summit ;)

Fangoria 10 August 2004 10:18 PM

What the fact that you know nowt :p ;)

Fangoria 10 August 2004 10:20 PM

Wouldnt make the engine run richer as such but would raise the Octane - therefore giving safety against the onset of potential detonation from various causes

Seriously though for piece of mind whats an extra £3 a fill up against current fuel prices!!

WRX_Rich 10 August 2004 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fangoria
Wouldnt make the engine run richer as such but would raise the Octane - therefore giving safety against the onset of potential detonation from various causes

Seriously though for piece of mind whats an extra £3 a fill up against current fuel prices!!

just what I do with my 02 bugeye, the knock link still gets a bit tooo active for me on hot days had big red for the first time ( since the remap ;) )

I seem to be loosing about 1 litre of oil every 10k, so I have a oil catch tank going on very soon - as advised by Bob Rawles

i don't know if its just me but I find the car runs better off boost with millers and the knocklink is much less active on boost - not that it ever goes above 1 orange in average temps

taffyboyo 11 August 2004 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fangoria
What the fact that you know nowt :p ;)

yep ;)

aggs 11 August 2004 07:08 PM

Trying to say this.
In anwer to SteveBT Yes I know a knocklink would be cheaper over time,i.e. cheaper to buy and install a knocklink and not use octane booster.,but was checking if I was correct on the safety factor of raising the octane with the booster and keeping the car free of additional guages.i.e not to install a knocklink.
I want the car to be ready when it goes for map i.e.everything I plan to change on car be already in place.,it seems the cheapest solution is to change hoses prior to map,fit decat exhaust and then get map done.
And then drive car with octane boost for added safety and maybe a little extra power.
Phew got there in the end.
I hope
Aggs

Fangoria 11 August 2004 08:58 PM

Aggs

Not sure exactly what your on about now - can u explain in English pls :p

aggs 12 August 2004 09:48 PM

edited below
Aggs

fuz 13 August 2004 01:19 AM

the ecu could/would learn the fuel mix so the first time you only fill up with normal fuel you may have a problem as the ecu is slow to learn sometimes

micared 13 August 2004 07:47 AM

Det happens for all sorts of reasons, and the only way you would find out without having a knocklink fitted is when it goes bang....why not buy a knocklink and have the leds mounted remotely somewhere unobtrusive, but still in your line of vision, say, in the space between your speedo and rev counter? Just a thought.

WRX_Rich 13 August 2004 08:29 AM

or even stick it in the glove box and get it out when you are on them private roads ever one keeps talking about

best £100 I spent my02 wrx did not like its first remap at all.... as said booter will put in a better safty margin but my first remap it didn't make any difference at all

if you don't have any other gauges this would be the one