ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   do i need the cat? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/351424-do-i-need-the-cat.html)

wakeydave 08 August 2004 07:19 PM

do i need the cat?

i purchased a '94 wrx about 5 months ago and i was told by the previous owner that he'd had both cats removed as it's now got a full s/s system with a tsl group n backbox, the MOT is due soon so i'm assuming that the one cat that he gave me (downpipe) will have to go back on???

if this cat does need to go back on will it be an expensive job, last owner said that i would have to have a small section made for the cat to be attached??? and wot about the sensor thing that screws into the cat, it's not in the cat that i've got so where is it???

anybody help, please

fitzscoob 08 August 2004 08:46 PM

easiest option is to find a friendly mot station.........

wakeydave 08 August 2004 09:04 PM

yeah, easier said than done!

u can't just walk into a MOT garage and ask them if they'll do a dodgy MOT

even if it passes the emmisions it'll still need the cat won't it!

Roojai 08 August 2004 09:25 PM

The sensor thing should still be on your car on the decat pipe. It's not an easy job to do, but its not that bad. You should be able to just take of the decat down pipe and replace with the original. I would guess it may take about 3 hours if you are unsure about what you are doing. They do have 2 cats though so you may need the second one too.

ticky 08 August 2004 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
easiest option is to find a friendly mot station.........

Thats what I did, but told them first that my car struggles with the emmission's as its an import model. Nice mot chap said, as long as everything else work's dont worry about that.

94WRX have only one cat & thats in the downpipe.
The original mid section uses a resonator.
My O2/lamba sensor is fitted just behind the turbo on my TSL decat dp.
When I removed my original catted d/p. I removed the O2 sensor from the exhaust headers & used a blanking bolt/bung in its place. I also removed the egt sensor in the original dp.
O2 sensor now fitted in the decat dp.
Cost wise not sure as I do it my self.

ALi-B 08 August 2004 09:59 PM

Someone remind me of what the cutoff year for the stricter emssion test is for Imports.

(i know it's sept 1992 for UK cars...but can't remember what it is for the grey imports)

Roojai 09 August 2004 12:30 AM

ticky, why did you put the O2 sensor on the DP. I have a blanked off socket for the O2 sensor on my down pipe but still using the normal O2 sensor position.

I have a 94 WRX and I thought the box I removed from the middle was a cat. will check in garage tomorrow but if it's not then I wasted 67 quid for a magnex decat pipe!

Power Junkie 09 August 2004 09:25 AM

I just had the middle cat removed from my 96 wrx wagon.. made a good difference.

Keigo 09 August 2004 09:37 AM

Solution - Speak to Adam at Scoobyclinic. If you are in Wakefield. It's only down the road from you. www.scoobyclinic.co.uk

wakeydave 11 August 2004 07:50 PM

cheers for putting me onto scoobyclinic Keigo!

very friendly bloke when i phoned, said they can sort it no problem