ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   3000 miles thru europe in 1 month. What car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/351087-3000-miles-thru-europe-in-1-month-what-car.html)

RobBBB 06 August 2004 05:53 PM

3000 miles thru europe in 1 month. What car?

Planning on doing a tour of europe, starting in Lisbon then heading east taking on board Gibraltar, south coast of France, Italy, Czech republic, Germany (& Nurburgring) and Denmark. Fancied doing it in a boxster (it needs to be a convertible - must get a tan if spending all that time driving), what woud you do it in? Of course fancy a 360/Aston, but what about more realistic cars say around 30k.

Plus if anyone's done anything like this before, any tips?

Chris L 06 August 2004 06:02 PM

TVR? But I guess you really do need reliability! Lotus Elise - maybe a bit basic for this kind of mileage? To be honest, the Boxster would be good compromise - although none of these cars has fantastic luggage space, so either you've got to travel alone or travel light!

Tips? Make sure you've got good pan European breakdown cover! I found the best prices here.

Chris

carl 06 August 2004 06:17 PM

M3 Cabrio? Porsche 911 Cabrio?

I know someone who did a tour of Europe in a 1920s 4.5-litre Bentley :cool:
(Around 8mpg, he reckoned).

SteveV-WRX 06 August 2004 07:30 PM

honda s2k, got to be worth a go in?

steve

SJJ84 06 August 2004 07:48 PM

Agree with Steve above, S2000 has got to be a good choice, Jap reliability, 30K would buy you a brand new one I think, and it isn't going to cost you the earth in petrol. M3 convertible would give you more room, very comfy, SMG gearbox would mean you could put it in auto mode if you're feeling lazy. Altho the one I borrowed for my 20th birthday drank fuel, I was getting 14mpg! Also not sure if you'd get one for £30grand. Boxster would be a good option as said, not sure on prices, what one could you get for that money? A boxster S perhaps? Only one you'd want really.

adzwrx 06 August 2004 08:00 PM

na do it in a scoob now that would be fun

what would scooby do 06 August 2004 09:57 PM

M3 Convertible:D

carl 06 August 2004 10:01 PM

Audi S4 Cabrio? Aston DBS V8? Bentley Turbo R?

camk 06 August 2004 10:22 PM

yeah do it in a scoob, no image, **** MPG and probably no aircon.........and if you get **** fuel the engine will chuck a piston(3).......

Do it on a bike or with a convertible, otherwise its not worth the stress

RobBBB 07 August 2004 02:58 PM

Cheers for the replies. Did have a think about the S2000, went for a test drive a couple of months ago and it was a scream but maybe a bit frantic for that sort of distance.

TVR would be nice too, but the thought of no ABS/TC (and my lack of self-restraint) fills the mind with images of spectacularly careering off cliffs and into Armcos after booting it in second out of a tight corner.

Do insurers sting you for going abroad?

JDM 07 August 2004 04:05 PM

Done quite a few Euro trips of 2.5K miles quite often. In my Impreza, the only thing the car lacks is a bit of style.

My vote goes for Boxster, 911 Turbo or M5, or a new Audi A8 V8 Diesel- power, style and even a bit of economy.

My insurer Liverpool Victoria provides 3 months Euro cover for no charge.