ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   I thought it was dead, seems its just ill. (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/350947-i-thought-it-was-dead-seems-its-just-ill.html)

fatgarykeys 06 August 2004 09:24 AM

I thought it was dead, seems its just ill.

Please help me guys

Saw smoke coming from engine, quickly turned it off and left it to cool

Seems now that when engine gets warm, the pressure is popping the water cap and just falling onto the engine causing the smoke.

The temp gauge on the dash just rises to its normal level, the engine sounds fine.

Is it a thermostat problem, or an airlock.

Its my first scoob problem, Im not too useless and if pointed in the right direction can do most jobs myself.

Cheers people

Dr Hu 06 August 2004 09:39 AM

If it is blowing the water cap off - somethong is overpressurising the cooling system - its either:-

A - Crap Radiator Cap (unlikely)
b - Blown Head Gasket (more Likely)

It needs a compression test really to tell........

T5NYW 06 August 2004 09:52 AM

I Agree with Dr Hu ;) if as you said the Temp gauge is OK

If it was overheating could have been Thernostat or water pump.

Top the water up leave the cap off if it bubble up and throws out water 90% chance Head gasket.

Also check the Oil for Water contamination, milky residue on the Oilfiller cap is also another sign of head gasket.

IMHO IIRC

Tony

Leslie 06 August 2004 12:11 PM

Could also be an oil leak from the right cam cover gasket allowing oil to drop onto the exhaust when it is hot.

Les

ticky 06 August 2004 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Could also be an oil leak from the right cam cover gasket allowing oil to drop onto the exhaust when it is hot.

Les

I agree with Leslie, more likely oil leak from rocker covers, quite common.
Oil drips onto exhaust headers, Then burns off once the engine is warm, causing the smoke.

dj219957 06 August 2004 02:13 PM

could be the header tank. These are a common problem on classics and can leak water onto the zorst causing steam.
Is it steam or smoke? i.e water or oil?

fatgarykeys 09 August 2004 09:43 AM

Its definatly water and its coming from the pop cap thing. Its just water from here dripping onto the engine that is casuing the steam

There is no sign of smoke from the exhaust.

Thanks for your help people, Ill keep on investigating, failing that Ill maybe get John Pye Motors to take a look.

Bought a second hand radiator after I crashed it, maybe there is a fault with this?

Also checked oil cap and no sign of white residue

dj219957 10 August 2004 10:04 PM

Header

If it is the header tank you can get a one (WRX or turbo2000) from the dealer for 68£. Solved my problem. Be worth checking the top radiator hose too.

Andy

fatgarykeys 12 August 2004 09:39 AM

Just an update of what I have found

The pipe from the header tank is getting hot but the pipe down at the bottom right of the radiator is stone cold, is it getting blocked somewhere in between. Also could anybody tell me where the thermostat is located so I can take it out and perhaps test it.

Thanks in advance

911 12 August 2004 12:46 PM

Sorry to repeat it all again, but your 'problems' are all i had on my Sti v3. the head gasket was gone on one side, the other had started to go.
The stat is located behind a cast housing directly from the lower hose to the engine block.
It is held there by to awkward small bolts which are VERY easy to shear off!
Get a new seal with the new stat.
I changed mine before the gasket job, and it made NO difference....

API did the gaskets for me. Engine stripped before my eyes there and then to find the (££££££££) evidence.
All well so far now.
good luck,

dhorwich 01 September 2004 10:44 PM

how much did it cost..??

Dan:D

APIDavid 02 September 2004 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by dhorwich

how much did it cost..??

Dan:D

The engine came here out of the car. We pressure tested the heads for cracks, fitted a stud kit to do away with the bolts, V4 steel gaskets, oil filter and so on all for the VERY REASONABLE sum of £547.00 plus VAT.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

911 02 September 2004 12:47 PM

That is correct!
The engine is back in, oiled and watered by me (dangerous) and raced very hard twice since. Absolutely water tight, free of any vice.

What David forgot to say is that it was all done nice and easy, he put up with me bringing completion date 2 weeks forward and will make you a great mug of coffee!

Highly recccommended.

911 :norty:

APIDavid 02 September 2004 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 911
That is correct!
The engine is back in, oiled and watered by me (dangerous) and raced very hard twice since. Absolutely water tight, free of any vice.

What David forgot to say is that it was all done nice and easy, he put up with me bringing completion date 2 weeks forward and will make you a great mug of coffee!

Highly recccommended.

911 :norty:

:thumb: