ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   what is the difference between TEK1. TEK2 and TEK3??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/350598-what-is-the-difference-between-tek1-tek2-and-tek3.html)

oceanstarBug 05 August 2004 03:53 AM

what is the difference between TEK1. TEK2 and TEK3???

advice please.. :notworthy

Jim_B 05 August 2004 01:45 PM

You'll find the ecutek guys dont like that terminology as it is confusing - with different mappers providing different products. However as I understand it [ Am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong ]
TEK1 was an off the shelf remap to just improve driveability over a std map for a car with no modifications.
TEK2 remaps [ again off the shelf ] for a de-cat exhaust system and improved air filter.
TEK3 is a custom remap for your car and is of course the only way to go if you have extensive mods.

So in terms of power - of course a custom map to your car will provide the best setup.

stevebt 05 August 2004 09:37 PM

money ;)

Bob Rawle 05 August 2004 09:49 PM

Tek 1 was actually not much more than AE800 code flashed over AE802, Tek2 represents equiv to the PPP for the MY99-00 and will vary company to company in what it provides.

Tek3 should be a totally customised map to suit all mods/driver fuel etc.

the Tek descripotions are actually a bit frowned on as they don't really relate to the actual upgrade. We tend to just talk about custom remapping but the Tek description does seem to have stuck.

bob

oceanstarBug 05 August 2004 11:49 PM

so 650 pound for which one????? tek1 or 2 or 3???

Bob Rawle 06 August 2004 01:53 PM

Tek 3 from us

bob

Ted Ed 06 August 2004 09:10 PM

Hi Bob

I had a Tek2 done on my car in Jul 02 ( Tek3 did'nt exist then ) at Power Enginering ...if I wanted to do some more mods and then have a remap ..Tek3 now .. would I have to go back to PE or can i go to any place for my remap as there are now a lot more places near to where I live which do Ecutek..I am not sure if my ECU is under some kind of license to the original mapper :confused:

Thanks

Simon

hoskib 07 August 2004 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Ed
Hi Bob

I had a Tek2 done on my car in Jul 02 ( Tek3 did'nt exist then ) at Power Enginering ...if I wanted to do some more mods and then have a remap ..Tek3 now .. would I have to go back to PE or can i go to any place for my remap as there are now a lot more places near to where I live which do Ecutek..I am not sure if my ECU is under some kind of license to the original mapper :confused:

Thanks

Simon

wouldn't mind knowing this myself, so up you go:D

Bob Rawle 07 August 2004 06:03 PM

You can go to any company using EcuTek software, you will need to bear in mind that they will have to redo the maps from scratch as only the tuner that last flashed te ecu will know exactly what is in there. Having had reflash the licence should still be available and if so that makes the ecu acessible.

bob

neil@wrx 07 August 2004 10:47 PM

had mine done 3 weeks ago (licence ?do you get a bit of paper to show it has been done) if so i did not get this

Bob Rawle 08 August 2004 12:01 AM

No paper, common misconception, licence is just a name for the royalty and software key that allows a single first ecu access by EcuTek. Its embedded into the ecu rom when the ecu is first reflashed.

bob

Midlife...... 08 August 2004 12:17 AM

Hi Bob :)

I'm still getting some more bits together for another re-map (along with Ninnybobs) :D :D ,

I just wondered about what records are being kept.......I'm proud to have my car maped by you and if I ever decided to sell it would obviously say "Mapped by Bob Rawle / BRD" and expect additional consideration :D

Obviously you would pay more for a painting by Van Gough than my 6 year old but who could tell ??

Shaun

Bob Rawle 08 August 2004 10:39 AM

I keep my own records relating to customer and his car, you have yours in the form of invoice etc for work done so your history is visible. Calling it a licence and highlighting that it was part of the upgrade was done to explain that there were more cost involved to the upgrade than just mapping time, some people then thought that the "licence" was indeed a certificate entitling them to certain things, as explained its merely a way of EcuTek taking royalty for cars mapped, we have to buy these "licences" from EcuTek up front, they get consumed as each car is flashed for its first time, once a particular ecu has been flashed with the software the "licence" has enabled it to be flashed again by anyone with the right software, originally that was not possible except by the originating tuner however this was changed as it restricted peoples choice for future mapping.

An ecu can be interrogated by using the flashing software to determine wether, or not, it has the capability to be mapped however it is open to abuse by an unscrupulous person selling on a board that has not been flashed as having been so.

So I would say be careful out there and part with no money for a "Tek ecu" until you have verified it can be reflashed without consuming one.

bob

Midlife...... 08 August 2004 09:03 PM

Evening Bob :)

Thanks for clearing that up :D:D

Shaun

PS you have e-mail as per your profile