ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Road Tax (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/350444-road-tax.html)

JDM 04 August 2004 03:21 PM

Road Tax

I'm off on a driving holiday later this year and my car tax will run out when I'm abroad.

How soon before the end of the month do Post Offices get tax disks for the following month and will they sell me one with no renewal notice?

MattW 04 August 2004 03:31 PM

You won't be able to buy one for the right month without the renewal notice as it will be over 12 months.

You will only get one for 12 months from the end of the previous month.

JDM 04 August 2004 03:35 PM

Sorry if I seem a bit dim here (and most probably I am) but if my tax runs out at the end of September and I want to get a new one that starts from October, why then can I not buy it on the 25th of September?
Surely that will only be 12 months?

Reffro 04 August 2004 03:51 PM

Provided you have the renewal form (V11) sent to you by the DVLA, you can buy the tax up to two weeks before it runs out.

MattW 04 August 2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JDM
Sorry if I seem a bit dim here (and most probably I am) but if my tax runs out at the end of September and I want to get a new one that starts from October, why then can I not buy it on the 25th of September?
Surely that will only be 12 months?

Because without the renewal proving you already have a valid tax disk, you will have a tax that runs 12 months and 5 days, not 12 months!!

Nimbus 04 August 2004 04:10 PM

What if you take the old tax disk in with you? ;)

MattW 04 August 2004 04:13 PM

What do you think the old bag at the counter is likely to say? ;)

AndyC_772 04 August 2004 04:28 PM

You can always return your disc at any time for a refund of unused months (pro-rata), then buy a new disc straight away. If you do that at the end of a month, you might only have to leave the car off the road for a day or so and you won't lose a whole month's tax - and, of course, you'll get a new disc that runs for 12 months from the date of purchase.

Redkop 04 August 2004 04:41 PM

Defo 2 weeks before, because I have done it :)

FASTER MIKE!! 04 August 2004 08:55 PM

What do you think the old bag at the counter is likely to say? ;)
hey i'm not an old bag;) , quite plesant....sometimes:D
you can tax a car 16 days before the tax runs out, i think your local DVLA office might be able to do it sooner......for a fee

micky the postmaster;):D:p

JDM 04 August 2004 09:09 PM

I'll be up in your neck of the woods at renewal time, around the South Lakes- I'll be popping in 2 weeks before the end of September for Octobers tax disk.

Thanks for the info.

BTW where is your Post Office!

julian N/W wrx my93 04 August 2004 09:15 PM

i bought 12 months tax with 4 £50 notes, waited till the od duffer had wrote it out than hander her the 4 notes, she was not impressed!

FASTER MIKE!! 04 August 2004 10:58 PM

JDM i'm north of the lakes in Kingstown in Carlisle, make sure you 've got the correct documents:D:D:D

mike:)

Leslie 05 August 2004 08:11 AM

Surely you can tax the car in advance of the present disk expiring. There will be a form available at the Post Office so you can do it without a reminder. Just date the tax to start when the old one expires and keep the new disk in your wallet. Worth asking at the Post Office anyway.

Les