ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Silicone Wipers (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/350091-silicone-wipers.html)

messiah 03 August 2004 01:33 PM

Silicone Wipers

Got these from PRI Racing 2 weeks ago and must say that I'm totally impressed both with their quick service and the performance of the PIAA wipers.

Deffo an essential buy on every car I have from now on...

cefski 03 August 2004 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by messiah
Got these from PRI Racing 2 weeks ago and must say that I'm totally impressed both with their quick service and the performance of the PIAA wipers.

Deffo an essential buy on every car I have from now on...

Yup. Put some on a couple of months ago. Installation procedure is a bit drawn out, but well worth the effort.

Don't need to use them above 60mph as the water beads and flies off the screen. Sort of odd, this - you've spent about £40 quid on a set of wipers that do themselves out of a job for about 50% of the time.

Wierd

Kev

Ray_li 03 August 2004 02:38 PM

Wheres the cheapest place to buy these?

cefski 03 August 2004 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Wheres the cheapest place to buy these?

Got mine from Scoobyworld (scroll down the page to just past half way)

Kev

messiah 03 August 2004 04:29 PM

got mine from Pri racing - got the carbon effect ones delivered cheaper than scoobyworld do the regular wipers undelivered...

http://www.priracing.co.uk

P1 JON 03 August 2004 06:03 PM

Messiah

Those carbon ones look great :)

Do you know which code would be the ones to fit a P1?

Cheers

John

Claudius 03 August 2004 06:16 PM

Too bad it never rains here or I would get some, too ;)

messiah 04 August 2004 09:29 AM

P1 - I imagine it would be the same as my MY00 - the pri racing site has a link to PIAA's website which will tell you which size you need (11 & 7 from memory - check first). I thought the passsenger side blade would be way too small (the drivers side is much bigger) but fits and works a treat.

You don't need the curved ones BTW.

Jim_B 04 August 2004 01:18 PM

I have these too - Been on for about 10 months or so - anyone else get smearing with them ? Sure they didnt do that at first - maybe I need to completely clean the windscreen again....

cefski 05 August 2004 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jim_B
I have these too - Been on for about 10 months or so - anyone else get smearing with them ? Sure they didnt do that at first - maybe I need to completely clean the windscreen again....

Got that a couple of weeks ago, too. Screen was littered with baked-on bug guts, plus some residue found it's way onto the blades. Cleaning both with lightly soaped warm water and re-doing the dry run got things back to normal.

Kev

Brun 05 August 2004 07:43 AM

The beading is nowt to do with the silicon. The little wipe thingy that you must use before installing the wipers, is laced with Rain-x type stuff. It is that which causes the beading :p
To prove my theory, i bought some silicon wipers for my old man's car and didn't bother with the wipe - did it bead?????????????? did it fook.
They are better than normal wipers but not worth the money.
My next set will be Champions or similar and a tub of Rain-x :D

cefski 05 August 2004 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brun
The beading is nowt to do with the silicon. The little wipe thingy that you must use before installing the wipers, is laced with Rain-x type stuff. It is that which causes the beading :p
To prove my theory, i bought some silicon wipers for my old man's car and didn't bother with the wipe - did it bead?????????????? did it fook.

Burst our collective bubble, why dontcha ;) :D

Kev

Jim_B 05 August 2004 01:40 PM

I was wondering the same as I used rain-x before [ or similar product ] and it seemed to bead better than the PIAAs. But after a while that began to smear too...
Guess I'll just glass cut the screen and re-apply the rain-x.

messiah 06 August 2004 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brun

Not entirely convinced by that.

The wipe says it contains 98% Alcohol & 2% Silicone.

I've noticed that you get a kind of misty look as the wiper passes over the screen - yesterday when I used the washers - the screen didn't get the misty look where the jets had sprayed, so I thought you might not have been too far away. However, after constant use in last night's and this mornings rain the whole screen is misting again - you can't see any areas where the washers might have removed any surface coating, so my conclusion is that the wipers have replaced the silicone coating.