ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   wrong oil ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/349915-wrong-oil.html)

wiggy 02 August 2004 08:11 PM

wrong oil ???

went to halfords today and bought some 0/ 40 mobil 1 oil .
but when i got home i thought i remembered being advised on here to use 5/30 motorsport formula when i changed it last year . its a 95 wrx with about 75 k on the clock is that right ????????

cheers wiggy

simo 02 August 2004 08:29 PM

You really want to use 10/40, 10/50 or something similar, preferably fully synthetic. The 0/40 is way to thin for turbo engines.

simon

nyscooby 02 August 2004 08:29 PM

What is the best oil to run in an STI V7 import? (bug eye)

Who is running what oil?

wiggy 02 August 2004 11:43 PM

yeah i know the 0/40 is to thin but im sure the 5/30 will do the job a reply from api david would set my mind at ease

coulty 03 August 2004 12:09 AM

Nope you are all wrong....you want Castrol RS 10W/60, Motul 15W/50 or Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50. Do a search and all should be clear!

Stuart :)

Red Rocket 11166 03 August 2004 12:37 AM

Wiggy these oils are to thin.

You need the 10w's or 15w's as Coulty suggested.

Red.

cardiffscooby 03 August 2004 01:11 AM

wrong oil

Originally Posted by Red Rocket 11166
Wiggy these oils are to thin.

You need the 10w's or 15w's as Coulty suggested.

Red.

use mobil1 motorsport 15w50 sold in halfords !!not mobil 1 0w40 .take it back and ask to swop it,their usually pretty good!!

nyscooby 03 August 2004 01:27 AM

The question is, not being a chemical engineer myself, when and how do we know when a good oil turns bad?? When should it be changed?

Most will surely say, change the oil every 3,000 miles or something like this but when should it get dumped? (in an eco friendly way of course)

scooby-si 03 August 2004 02:13 AM

theres only 1 oil, silkolene pro R :D the best oil ever lol

scooby-si 03 August 2004 02:16 AM

:D

cardiffscooby 03 August 2004 10:12 AM

oil ..

Originally Posted by nyscooby
The question is, not being a chemical engineer myself, when and how do we know when a good oil turns bad?? When should it be changed?

Most will surely say, change the oil every 3,000 miles or something like this but when should it get dumped? (in an eco friendly way of course)

yeah!! I agree!! I have never put oil down the drain :norty:..god forbid!!!!

oilman 03 August 2004 10:20 AM

There is a very long thread on this called Lubricating a Subaru which is worth reading.

Would Suggest the following products are good for your cars.

10w-40 semi syn
10w-50 fully syn
15w-50 fully syn

You could also consider a 5w-40 fully syn for standard cars doing short journeys and a large number of cold starts.

I would not recommend either 0w oils or sae 60 oils, they are too thin and too thick for your engine. Use 5w thinnest and sae 50 thickest would be my advice.

You can always PM me for recommendations etc from the oils that I have being Castrol, Mobil, Silkolene, fuchs and Total.

Cheers
Simon

APIDavid 03 August 2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by wiggy
yeah i know the 0/40 is to thin but im sure the 5/30 will do the job a reply from api david would set my mind at ease

Oil is a VERY subjective thing and many people on here recommend their favourite, rather than what is best for the engine.

In essence, providing that the oil that you use is 10W or 15W as the lower figure then it will be fine. The brand does not matter, except that it needs to be a major brand and not "Czechoslovakian reclaimed oil" sold cheaply by your local factor:)

The thread from 'oilman' is very informative - if a little long and if you have a good attention span l recommend it.

Oil and filter changes at 3000 miles are what we recommend.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

oilman 03 August 2004 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Oil is a VERY subjective thing and many people on here recommend their favourite, rather than what is best for the engine.

In essence, providing that the oil that you use is 10W or 15W as the lower figure then it will be fine. The brand does not matter, except that it needs to be a major brand and not "Czechoslovakian reclaimed oil" sold cheaply by your local factor:)

The thread from 'oilman' is very informative - if a little long and if you have a good attention span l recommend it.

Oil and filter changes at 3000 miles are what we recommend.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

Thanks David, i was beginning to wonder whether anyone was listening out there :notworthy

It does seem to me that there are a number of people here using unsuitable oils however, it's their choice and their car at the end of the day :cuckoo:

Cheers
Simon

wiggy 03 August 2004 01:00 PM

cheers guys

Red Rocket 11166 03 August 2004 05:02 PM

Wiggy,

The only branded oil i would stay clear of is Magnatec, i used it in my Turbo for a few months and found the car sounded a bit noisy. I changed to Shell Helix and could not believe the difference. :thumb:

Cheers Red.