ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cleaning Alloys (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/349189-cleaning-alloys.html)

djuk 30 July 2004 07:22 PM

Cleaning Alloys

Taking my girlfriend's car into a garage tomorrow to test drive a new car and get a valuation on existing car for part-ex so want to give it a nice clean over to give a good initial impression of the car, even though the dealers probably wont care much about how clean it is it might be a shove in the right direction if its sparkling when we turn up.

The thing is, theres some really baked on specks of brake dust or something on the alloys which dont seem to want to leave. Does anybody have any suggestions or strange miracle cures? :)

Ta

David

mi16babe 30 July 2004 07:42 PM

Try autoglym Tar remover.Spray it on and leave 4 about half an hour.Then wipe off! Its great stuff and hasnt failed me yet.U can get it from halfords for about £7

P1Fanatic 30 July 2004 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mi16babe
Try autoglym Tar remover.Spray it on and leave 4 about half an hour.Then wipe off! Its great stuff and hasnt failed me yet.U can get it from halfords for about £7

Turtle wax wheel cleaner - spray it on and should dissolve most of it. If not repeat several times. Last time I was in halfords the entire turtle wax range was buy one get one free.

Simon.

GIRLRACER 30 July 2004 09:38 PM

Heard the same about the turtle wax stuff. I took advantage of the offer at halfords & went mad on leather cleaning stuff & the turtle wax twin pack cans, one you spray & leave then wash & the other is a protector that you spray on when wheels are dry & stops brake dust cakeing up, & supposed to make future cleaning easier. But i aint use them yet. My alloys are filthy (like the outside of my car) :p

chris's scooby 30 July 2004 10:21 PM

I've always used wonder wheels and elbow grease on the tough bits!

I have heard of people using a clay bar, although i've not tried one on my wheels yet i can recomend them for paintwork. Mines shifted marks i thought were in there for life.

Can i suggest u use alloy wheel protector once you've cleaned them. That way the brake dust will come off with a sponge and water when u wash the car.

Chris

mi16babe 30 July 2004 10:31 PM

Wonder wheels contains acid which will over time damage your alloys!

chris's scooby 30 July 2004 10:34 PM

I've just got hold of some orange cleaning stuff, or something like that!

Does anyone one know if waxing your wheels protects them from brake dust?

mi16babe 30 July 2004 10:37 PM

Nothing will protect your wheels from brake dust.Try not braking!! lol.

chris's scooby 30 July 2004 10:42 PM

Best just to keep cleaning the car then!

I've cleaned the new one about 5 times in the two and a half weeks i've had it.

Still it seems to be keeping the neighbours entertained...

mi16babe 30 July 2004 10:45 PM

lol bet your not as sad as me!!!

Ive just got back from the garage where i jet washed mine.I then get out the flexiblade,bucket and chamois and dry her off on the fourcourt!Theres a pub just over the road...u can see em thinking........HOW SAD!!!!!

chris's scooby 30 July 2004 11:06 PM

Tut tut, according to the Swissol guide u shouldn't use a chamois as it may scratch the paint, best to towel dry!

mi16babe 30 July 2004 11:47 PM

Thats c***.Long as u got a decent chamois! Towel dry my a***! You'll leave bits of fluff everywhere!

bartmanuk 31 July 2004 12:19 AM

Wonder Wheels from Halfords,slap it on with a brush that comes with it,and wash straight off with a hose,sparkly shiney wheels in an instant>>>

BM:)

Leslie 01 August 2004 07:59 AM

Bit of wax polish on the wheels after the Wonder Wheels bit will help to remove the brake dust next time.

Les

paulr 01 August 2004 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Bit of wax polish on the wheels after the Wonder Wheels bit will help to remove the brake dust next time.

Les

Thats all i do,normal car polish.The laquer is the same isnt it?