ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Why have The Met got Silver cars and Green bikes? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/348449-why-have-the-met-got-silver-cars-and-green-bikes.html)

Krade 28 July 2004 12:03 PM

Why have The Met got Silver cars and Green bikes?

In the Met area I have noticed that new Police cars are now Silver.

The other thing I saw was police bike in the luminous lime + green similar to the ambulance service style. It was deff a police bike, it had met sickers on it and there were 3 bikes together the other two were silver.

IanW 28 July 2004 12:05 PM

Silver cars have better resale value, simple as that, plus it keeps you on your toes looking in the rear view mirror ;)

ProperCharlie 28 July 2004 12:06 PM

apparently they decided to start using silver cars as they figured the re-sale value would be higher. i bet that saved a whole shed load of tax payers money... :rolleyes:

RobinSherwood 28 July 2004 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Krade
In the Met area I have noticed that new Police cars are now Silver.

The other thing I saw was police bike in the luminous lime + green similar to the ambulance service style. It was deff a police bike, it had met sickers on it and there were 3 bikes together the other two were silver.

Easy answer I believe though happy to be corrected by someone who knows better.

Silver has a better re-sale value than white when they come to sell them on. I imagine the same would apply to a green motorbike.

Regards

Robin

Krade 28 July 2004 12:11 PM

I guessd the resale values would be better plus they more than likley got a better deal on silver with Vauxhaul.

but the green bike looked more like it was coverd in the green and yellow luminous stickers. It look more like a oparamedic bike than a Polce unit but it was deff met police.

IanW 28 July 2004 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Krade
I guessd the resale values would be better plus they more than likley got a better deal on silver with Vauxhaul.

but the green bike looked more like it was coverd in the green and yellow luminous stickers. It look more like a oparamedic bike than a Polce unit but it was deff met police.

And BMW :D :)

The bike I am not sure of, I will see what I can find out for you if you want?

ajm 28 July 2004 12:21 PM

At least they are making an effort to save money! I live near Avon & Somerset HQ and I am seeing more and more brand new mercs in police livery. Amusingly they also have a police Smart car, to redress the balance no doubt! ;)

ProperCharlie 28 July 2004 12:28 PM

yeah - all those 5 series beemers and merc estates - they really know how to economise.

Nat 28 July 2004 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
apparently they decided to start using silver cars as they figured the re-sale value would be higher. i bet that saved a whole shed load of tax payers money... :rolleyes:

yeah. why not? Say they had 1000 cars and got £500 extra for each at reasle for being silver not sh1t white. Thats £500,000 saved or 18 new bobbies on the street if you want.

Nat 28 July 2004 12:45 PM

and if you're talking mercs/bmws, then that makes even more sense as they have far higher resale values, and dont lose value so much related to miles on the clock They'll also prob be worth more like an extra £750-1000 per car for being silver not white....

Paulo P 28 July 2004 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
yeah - all those 5 series beemers and merc estates - they really know how to economise.

Very true. I always think that too.

ProperCharlie 28 July 2004 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21
and if you're talking mercs/bmws, then that makes even more sense as they have far higher resale values, and dont lose value so much related to miles on the clock They'll also prob be worth more like an extra £750-1000 per car for being silver not white....

well - i suppose the silver idea does have some merit. i doubt that using premium german motors instead of vauxhalls is a money saver, though.

i'd have to see a cost/benefit analysis to be sure. ;)

OllyK 28 July 2004 12:54 PM

In fact to save even more money why not scrap Traffic Police and just have cameras everywhere and civillians to deal with accidents on motorways, oops sorry, that's what they are doing :rolleyes:

Dapster 28 July 2004 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
yeah - all those 5 series beemers and merc estates - they really know how to economise

Very true. I always think that too.

Cars are selected on their total cost of ownership (tco) rather than purchase price - ie including resale value, repair costs, consumables, servicing and so on. I think that tco costs will be much lower on an Merc E320 Cdi that can do 500,000 miles without a blink than some wheezy old Omega with bits falling off every few days.

ProperCharlie 28 July 2004 01:17 PM

some *some* forces have opted for skoda octavias and *some* have opted for mercs and beemers... all based on tco?

Dapster 28 July 2004 02:08 PM

There will always be some forces who are given fully kitted cars on a trail basis for free, and some get better deals than others - so we're never going to see the full picture but the Met all seem to be Merc'd up I agree.

RegDorp 28 July 2004 02:22 PM

Doesn't research show that silver/grey cars are the most difficult to spot on the roads??? Does if I remember rightly... something to do with them being similar to the pavement/tarmac colour I think. I'm sure they didn't take that into consideration at all (cough, cough).

ProperCharlie 28 July 2004 02:27 PM

what, silver cars with jam sandwich livery and blue lights on top? now thay are *really* hard to spot... :p

Petem95 28 July 2004 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by NAT21
Thats £500,000 saved or 18 new bobbies on the street if you want.

....but more likely 12 more Gatso's :mad: