ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Credit Card Transfers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/347809-credit-card-transfers.html)

Apparition 26 July 2004 09:58 AM

Credit Card Transfers

May be a bit of a thick question but: When applying for a new credit card and taking them up on the offer of a transfer of your balance from another card....
You don't have to close down that other card in the process do you ?

Ch!lledBudwei2er 26 July 2004 10:14 AM

No not in the slightest.

Buzzer 26 July 2004 10:16 AM

No

.............................. but i do close them down as a colleague of mine closed down one card around 2 years ago and now re-applied for a card with them with 0% on BT and they have accepted. f he still had the card active, he wouldn't of been offered the balance transfer.

I dont know if it is the same for all lenders but i dont want loads of cards lying around so i just cancel them. BTW i'm on my 4th card now ;)

Apparition 26 July 2004 12:41 PM

Thanks for that. Its just that I have loads of credit on the one I currently run and wouldn't like to lose it. But at the moment being able to defer payment of the current balance by 6 months looks very attractive.

Guzzit 26 July 2004 12:49 PM

I think Barclaycard are offering 12 months interest free on balance transfers at the moment - sounds too good to miss. I found details on Motley Fool financial advice website.

imlach 26 July 2004 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Guzzit
I think Barclaycard are offering 12 months interest free on balance transfers at the moment - sounds too good to miss. I found details on Motley Fool financial advice website.

They are, but be aware that you're lucky if you get a credit limit any bigger than £2-3k....

So, if you're looking to get £10k at 0%, don't rely on Barclaycard....

Philip Attaway 26 July 2004 01:29 PM

I just put the rest of my car loan on an EGG card. 0% until March ;O)

Ws given a £15,000 limit straight away :eek:

RobJenks 26 July 2004 01:55 PM

I have a related question on this topic.
I have transferred funds into a credit card account - so it actually is in credit.
Unfortunately I have forgotten the pin number to get access to these funds.
OK bloody idiot I know.
What I want to do ,is transfer this cash into my other credit card account-The one I have the pin number of.
Hows best to do this ?

Buzzer 26 July 2004 02:09 PM

You will have to get a replacement PIN from the card issuer, draw the money out and pay it against your new card :)

Boro 26 July 2004 04:47 PM

You might get charged anything upto 2% for the priviledge of drawing cash too

Bonehead 26 July 2004 07:04 PM

Check out

www.moneysavingexpert.com

V V helpful site

markwild 26 July 2004 08:00 PM

Rob - You could bt the money from one card to another, I.e. use the one in credit to pay some off the other one - thereby removing the 'in credit' balance...

You may be charged for that too....

Mark

mad_dr 26 July 2004 09:59 PM

Would probably be easier just to spend the money instead of using your normal method of payment. Just use it to buy fuel/shopping etc... Unless it's a huge amount of money or something...

paulr 27 July 2004 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Would probably be easier just to spend the money instead of using your normal method of payment. Just use it to buy fuel/shopping etc... Unless it's a huge amount of money or something...

agreed.