ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Scotland (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/)
-   -   FAO John Banks (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/347740-fao-john-banks.html)

HI SOOB 25 July 2004 10:18 PM

FAO John Banks

If you are out there John, Hi.
I spoke to you at the begining of the year about my WRX that had blown up, the 2003 with fmic,SR30 turbo,de cat etc and the Dastek unichip.
The car has now had enough time to run in and is to return to Dastek next week for the unichip to be fitted again and set up as it was removed during the run in period.

I have only one problem with the car just now and it is a problem that has been with the car since i bought it.
When driving normal or hard the car is not drivable when decelerating(spelling).
If the turbo has been on boost and the throttle is backed of slowly like you would do when for example negotiating a bend in the road or simply backing off a little the car "judders".
The only way round it is to either completely pop the throttle up or very very slowly lift off. But as you can appreciate its not always possible to do this, never mind the fact it shouldnt happen.
I have spoken to Gerry about it when the car was in the first week I had it but he was unsure and thought it was to do wuth the intercooler set up and the induction/turbo combination.
It is also savage on petrol consumption, not even just below average. The car has NEVER been driven hard and i really mean NEVER but still it is only just getting 20 mpg. If this is ok then i dont mind, its still better than the Ra I had. But it has a strong unburnt fuel smell most of the time.

Hope you dont mind me asking all these questions but there are few folk who know their stuff I can talk too.
AND I dont want another blown engine after its been mapped if there is a problem somewhere else.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Andy.F 25 July 2004 11:01 PM

Do you have a vent to atmosphere dump valve ?

HI SOOB 25 July 2004 11:21 PM

Yep, sure do Andy. Want to throw the bloody thing away though. Its a Turbo XS one. I have stretched the spring to keep the bugger closed but still no change.It still opens if its on full boost and I let the pedal up quickly
You think it could still be the problem??

john banks 26 July 2004 12:17 AM

Agree with Andy's thoughts, we've done a lot of work/discussion together on MAF sensor flow reversions with FMICs and aftermarket dump valves - VTA or recirc.

Refit the OEM dump valve which is far smoother and doesn't seem to give a problem at silly power (at least the metal bodied ones from the late nineties onwards).

drb5 26 July 2004 07:29 AM

even i agree to this one!:D get rid of it, or get a forge one with red spring. it seems to be quite smooth on lift-off too. but try oe first, as john said:)

HI SOOB 26 July 2004 05:31 PM

Ok Guys. Thanks. Need to get my hands on a oe part though as it was on it when I got it:(

Thanks again

Jamie

sti-04!! 26 July 2004 05:56 PM

av got an oe one;)

HI SOOB 26 July 2004 06:32 PM

If your either up for selling it or giving me a wee shot of it then that would be the crack???

Will call you later. What you up too tonight??

Jamie

sti-04!! 26 July 2004 06:41 PM

Hi mate, i can give you a crack with it, give me a bell & i can meet you somewere if you want, will bring a 12mm as well;)

HI SOOB 26 July 2004 06:53 PM

****! Just remembered that yours wont fit cause i have the front mount:(

Think i will need to buy a re circ one. More bloomin money needin spent on this heap!!

Jamie

sti-04!! 26 July 2004 07:59 PM

its cool:D:D