ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   iTunes, has anyone else noticed... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/347624-itunes-has-anyone-else-noticed.html)

judgejules 25 July 2004 02:35 PM

iTunes, has anyone else noticed...

...how shockingly pants the music quality is?

I've just downloaded my first albumn, and though, hmmm, where's the base, so I grabbed "Abilene" by Shryl Crow to compare it with a track I mave already ripped to mp3 from my cd collection.

I couldnt believe how bad the iTunes version was!

What are they playing at? 128kbps aac's when I run my mp3's at 256kbps

I think this will be the first and only purchase from there, if they all come out like this :( Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Also, some of the albumns on there are more expensive than www.play.com !

I gotta be missing something obvious here, my amp isnt registering any bass! Is this all just designed for people with ipods and headphones?

Comments welcome :)

Jules

Freak 25 July 2004 02:44 PM

Its sh!te
for people who dont care about the quality.

320 kbps MP3s are bad enough quality, 128 is shockingly bad.

And you paid for this? lol

AndyC_772 25 July 2004 02:49 PM

No surprise that iTunes sounds bad - as you say, it's designed for portable use with headphones.

Freak: I'm surprised you're finding 320kb/s MP3s sound bad - I wonder whether you're doing a proper controlled experiment here. It could well be that your PC's sound card (or whatever else you're using to decode them) is bad. Try burning a few to an audio CD and then play that back to back with the original in your CD player - you might be surprised. I use 160kb/s as a compromise between quality and portability.

judgejules 25 July 2004 02:52 PM

Jason, try grabbing a track you already have on CD and compare the difference?

Jules

Freak 25 July 2004 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Freak: I'm surprised you're finding 320kb/s MP3s sound bad - I wonder whether you're doing a proper controlled experiment here. It could well be that your PC's sound card (or whatever else you're using to decode them) is bad. Try burning a few to an audio CD and then play that back to back with the original in your CD player - you might be surprised. I use 160kb/s as a compromise between quality and portability.

when i say 'bad' im comparing to mainly vinyl and some cd.
On a home system its acceptable yes, but on a club system its a big no no- sounds terrible ( i cant help but look at things from my professional perspective)
Im just not a big fan of mp3- it has its uses, as mentioned above. But if people are selling ****e mp3s with a really low bitrate then thats not a good thing.

ScoobyDoo555 25 July 2004 05:04 PM

I'm with Freak on this one. MP3, by definition is horrendous. Good enough for portable use or car, but nowt else. (speaking in my professional capacity ;))

Haven't downloaded anything from I-Tunes though. Well, not yet.

Dan