ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Contentious!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/346456-contentious.html)

Senior_AP 21 July 2004 09:46 AM

Contentious!!

I have my thoughts on this.....but....here goes:

"Should a homosexual male couple be permitted to adopt a child who is too young to make the choice of whom he is brought up by" E.g. A baby.

Discuss....

ProperCharlie 21 July 2004 09:50 AM

a better question would be: "should all homosexuals be excluded from being parents (either naturally or through adoption or other means)."

The Guv'nor 21 July 2004 09:51 AM

No. Simple as. A child needs a stable, "normal" upbringing.

Or should I have said "Not in my house"?! :D

T.G.

Muffleman 21 July 2004 09:57 AM

Agreed, poof..., er, homosexuals should not be allowed to raise a child. It's bad enough going to school with ginger hair or spots, but can you imagine the poor kid's school days trying to explain why he\she has two dads, whilst wondering why he\she doesn't have a mum ?!?

Nope, it's fu**ed up - period.

Matt

Senior_AP 21 July 2004 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
a better question would be: "should all homosexuals be excluded from being parents (either naturally or through adoption or other means)."

Well, no. That is a different question completely.

My original question still stands.

PG 21 July 2004 10:02 AM

No way !!

Its just not right!

MattW 21 July 2004 10:04 AM

I don't believe it is morally acceptable

messiah 21 July 2004 10:05 AM

No.

Muffleman 21 July 2004 10:05 AM

There's an irony there.....

A pair of complete tits, yet can't feed the baby :D

I'll get me coat !!!

Bravo2zero_sps 21 July 2004 10:06 AM

I strongly disagree with letting homosexual couples bring up children. Its not natural for starters and yes I think the kid would face problems at school and also be brought up thinking the situation of its 'parents' was normal, which is most certainly isn't.

mj 21 July 2004 10:09 AM

what if one of the parents was a gay male tranny?? :rolleyes:

ProperCharlie 21 July 2004 10:10 AM

why do you specify males in your question?

Drunken Bungle Whore 21 July 2004 10:10 AM

Given the recent homophobic threads, it seems the topic for discussion here is actually should all homosexual men be removed from the planet? How can you expect a sensible discussion when there are so many narrowminded people around?

This was a massive thread about 10 months or so ago and all it resulted in was a bunch of opinionated windbags spouting forth with absolutely NO experience of the situation whatsoever. But some bloke down the pub had said.... :rolleyes:

When someone has some cast iron experience and is able to hold a sensible, reasoned, none homphobic, discussion on the topic then maybe it will be worth reading/ getting involved in. However I doubt that's likely to happen this time....

:rolleyes:

Senior_AP 21 July 2004 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
why do you specify males in your question?

I'll ask the same of two women (lesbians) in a later thread. Can only do 1 thing at a time.

IMO - it makes no difference whether they are male or female when it comes to my opinion on this point.

Bravo2zero_sps 21 July 2004 10:12 AM

:rolleyes: so we are all homophobic are we by having an opinion that says no we don't agree with it? :rolleyes:

Senior_AP 21 July 2004 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle Whore
Given the recent homophobic threads, it seems the topic for discussion here is actually should all homosexual men be removed from the planet? How can you expect a sensible discussion when there are so many narrowminded people around?

This was a massive thread about 10 months or so ago and all it resulted in was a bunch of opinionated windbags spouting forth with absolutely NO experience of the situation whatsoever. But some bloke down the pub had said.... :rolleyes:

When someone has some cast iron experience and is able to hold a sensible, reasoned, none homphobic, discussion on the topic then maybe it will be worth reading/ getting involved in. However I doubt that's likely to happen this time....

:rolleyes:

I'm just asking the question to see the response. I'm playing devils advocate on this one and not divulging my opinion.

I am not in any way a homophobe. I'll stop there.

Nimbus 21 July 2004 10:14 AM

It may not be the tolerant thing to say, or perticularly PC, but I don't think it's right. At my wifes work, there is a lesbian who's partner had FREE NHS treatment for AI to have a child. Now the one at work is having the same for a second child. Free again. Why is this offered to gay couples but not straight?

Now, before anyone start shouting the lines of "but if there good parents it shouldn't matter", I don't care. To me it's wrong.

Drunken Bungle Whore 21 July 2004 10:15 AM

Would suggest you search out the previous thread and take it from there. As I said in my post - the homophobic attitudes are being clearly displayed in other current threads. Why am I wasting my time...?

Drunken Bungle Whore 21 July 2004 10:15 AM

Why is this offered to gay couples but not straight?
.....so you'd have proof/ first hand experience of this then....?

The Guv'nor 21 July 2004 10:15 AM

Given the recent homophobic threads, it seems the topic for discussion here is actually should all homosexual men be removed from the planet?

Ok then, good idea.

T.G.

Bravo2zero_sps 21 July 2004 10:15 AM

Just as long as you know Nimbus you will be added to DBW's homophobic list for your opinion there! :rolleyes:

Dunk 21 July 2004 10:15 AM

Prioiritise:
1) Adam & Eve
2) Adam & Steve

D

Chris L 21 July 2004 10:16 AM

Judging by the 'average' family you see on Wife Swap, I'd say they would have as good chance as any at bringing up the child!

So many kids are brought up in unstable environments these days and so many are in single parent families, I think you could argue that we are no position to judge when the 'ideal' family seems to be a thing of the past.

Agreed, there would be big issues - not least of which would be the childs treatment at school, but to dismiss it out of hand is unrealistic. It's this that puts me off more than the actual fact of a gay couple bringing up a child. In terms of their parenting ability, they could be as good or as bad as the next couple.

If the choice is left until the child is old enough to make the decision - what do you do with them in the mean time? Leave them in a foster home or shunt them around to a succession of foster parents?

While not ideal, a stable environment with caring parents (no matter what that may consitute) is far more important to the childs well being and upbringing, than making moral judgements on whether a gay couple should adopt a baby.

Chris

The Guv'nor 21 July 2004 10:18 AM

10 more minutes and this'll be locked!! :D
Who says we have to accept homosexuality??? Call me homophobic if you like but I don't and won't ever accept it as normal.
T.G.

Kieran_Burns 21 July 2004 10:19 AM

A great deal of arguments against bringing up children in a homosexual environment is that the children will somehow 'become' gay themselves.

This is negated by the fact that homosexuals themselves invariably come from 'straight' relationships... your sexual leanings will come out when you hit puberty.

However, from my own point of view, I would not be comfortable with the fact and it would certainly, without a shadow of doubt, cause the child major problems at school.. all children pick on those that are different.

Nimbus 21 July 2004 10:19 AM

.....so you'd have proof/ first hand experience of this then....?
Of what? That they had IVF for free or that stright couples can not?

Muffleman 21 July 2004 10:20 AM

I'm very narrowminded too, to me - homophobic is a long winded way of spelling 'normal'.

I have to appluad Chris L's very well reasoned and crafted reply.

(But kinda agree with the ole Guv'nor I'm afraid).

Matt

Senior_AP 21 July 2004 10:20 AM

Would suggest you search out the previous thread and take it from there. As I said in my post - the homophobic attitudes are being clearly displayed in other current threads. Why am I wasting my time...?

Answer the question, ignore people if you think they are homophobes.

I am simply asking a question - wanting, quite simply an answer.

ProperCharlie 21 July 2004 10:22 AM

DBW - i sympathise with what you are saying, and unfortunately many of the replies will be of the "f**kin p**fs" type.

however, it is quite a tricky question. someone in my family is homosexual so i have plenty of "experience" of these sorts of issues. there is an argument that says homosexuals have adopted (for whatever reason) a lifestyle that precludes bearing or fathering children, so that should be the end of it. there is no easy answer. a friend of my mothers adopted a child (think sandal wearing woman in early 40's ;)). the consequences were, well, very difficult. plus she had to adopt a south american child as the (european) country where she lived would not allow her to adopt a national child due to her being single.

Senior_AP 21 July 2004 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chris L
Judging by the 'average' family you see on Wife Swap, I'd say they would have as good chance as any at bringing up the child!

So many kids are brought up in unstable environments these days and so many are in single parent families, I think you could argue that we are no position to judge when the 'ideal' family seems to be a thing of the past.

Agreed, there would be big issues - not least of which would be the childs treatment at school, but to dismiss it out of hand is unrealistic. It's this that puts me off more than the actual fact of a gay couple bringing up a child. In terms of their parenting ability, they could be as good or as bad as the next couple.

If the choice is left until the child is old enough to make the decision - what do you do with them in the mean time? Leave them in a foster home or shunt them around to a succession of foster parents?

While not ideal, a stable environment with caring parents (no matter what that may consitute) is far more important to the childs well being and upbringing, than making moral judgements on whether a gay couple should adopt a baby.

Chris

On my original question I will elaborate and say that the two gay men in question are nice, good, caring people who would be well equipped to bring up a child.....

....baring this in mind - is it fair a child who is too young to choose be put into a situation where he/she is raised by 2 male partners.