ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   unbiased opinion of tomtom navigator (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/345825-unbiased-opinion-of-tomtom-navigator.html)

bigsinky 19 July 2004 10:10 AM

unbiased opinion of tomtom navigator

thinking about buying one of these but have been told that the Northern Ireland coverage is not great. could anyone, especially those who own and use their tomtom in NI give me an unbiased opinion of the NI capabilities. i have no doubt about the UK mainland and am told it is superb so i have no worries there.

cheers

big sinky

bigsinky 19 July 2004 01:30 PM

OllyK 19 July 2004 01:42 PM

Can't pass comment on NI coverage. Great Britain coverage isn't great.

Road layout near us changed a couple of years back to become a dual carriage way through rather than a dead end. Just upgraded to version 3, and it is still showing as a dead end.

Another road nearby is marked as 1 way, when it isn't (It's quite a major road) and so it detours you several miles out of the way to get round it.

Also on my 3rd Bluetooth GPS unit. But when it works, and you are in an area it covers, it is very good.

Chris L 19 July 2004 04:09 PM

The only thing I've found missing on Tom Tom 3 is the M6 toll road. Other than that I've found it extremely accurate. There have been varying reports on the effectiveness of bluetooth cradles - but that is nothing to do with the quality of the sat nav software.

Don't know about NI, but I looked up Trier in Germany (where we are staying for the German Rally) and it went down to pretty detailed street level and the European maps are meant to be more basic than the UK and NI ones.

Chris

C h a z II 19 July 2004 04:53 PM

I'm looking into one of these units but worry that there insn't any live update available to rounte you round a traffic jam etc. Aparently this is comming but you will have to use a GPRS enabled phone which seems like a right effort.

Harry_Boy 19 July 2004 05:02 PM

Upgraded a couple of months ago to TTN3.

Generally very good, but there are some anomalies. My house seems to be located at the wrong side of a dead end... And one of the (minor) roads nearly by is mis-named. I put it down to mapping inaccuracies with TeleAtlas, the mapping providers.

bigsinky 19 July 2004 05:07 PM

hmmmmm........................... decisions, decisions

Chris L 19 July 2004 07:27 PM

Chaz - you can get the Tom Tom Traffic service now. I think they are doing a 3 month trial (thereafter 50 Euros a year I think). Yes, you'll need a GPRS enabled phone and be warned, if you have a hands free blue tooth kit, you won't be able to run a blue tooth connection to the nav cradle at the same time.

Chris

bigsinky 20 July 2004 12:08 PM

carl 20 July 2004 12:09 PM

Apparently some phones will now support multiple bluetooth connexions :cool: