ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What to do with £25k for 6 months ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/345791-what-to-do-with-25k-for-6-months.html)

Muffleman 19 July 2004 08:21 AM

What to do with £25k for 6 months ?

Mornin' all !

I currently have around £25k set aside for a project that is not now gonna happen for 6 months. I can't help but feel there is a smart thing to do with the cash for 6 months, but I don't know what !

It's got to be low risk, she'd murder me if I pi**ed it away :eek:

Oh, and no car suggestions - it pains me everyday to know that I could just go out and by various cars, but every car I buy loses me money !!! So I'd better steer clear of that one.

You need to be on-the-ball and in-the-know to deal in shares effectively, and I'm not - so that's out :rolleyes:

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Matt

TelBoy 19 July 2004 08:38 AM

Matt,

With respect, isn't a financial adviser, who can explore *all* your financial commitments in private, the way to go with this?

ProperCharlie 19 July 2004 08:43 AM

and where's the fun in that, Tel?

much better to post here and get the SN "fly to vegas and put it on black" type answers.

:)

Muffleman 19 July 2004 08:45 AM

I know where you're coming from Tel, but he's simply gonna recommend putting it on the mortgage, or an ISA, or something equally as dull.

Just thought there might be something a little more interesting out there.

Cheers

Matt

davyboy 19 July 2004 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Matt,

With respect, isn't a financial adviser, who can explore *all* your financial commitments in private, the way to go with this?

;) Tel, you know how it works on SN!

TelBoy 19 July 2004 08:51 AM

I sure do! :)

Booze, women, drugs, cars, hi-fi and round-the-world holidays it is then!! :D

Muffleman 19 July 2004 08:52 AM

Oh, and I will be chatting with my IFA aswell.

Just thought I'd post something that wasn't BNP\Islam\Allah\Hindu related :D

Matt

Hammy Hamster 19 July 2004 08:53 AM

Premium Bonds. No risk and a bit of fun. :)

TelBoy 19 July 2004 08:56 AM

Davyboy, wasn't it YOU that entered this particular theme on the Scoobynet book of... thread? If so, i'm chuckling at that as we speak. This smacks of that, in my opinion, if you know what i mean! ;)

Faire D'Income 19 July 2004 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hammy Hamster
Premium Bonds. No risk and a bit of fun. :)

Absolutely agree. I've had money tied up in various investments over the last year or so and Premium Bonds have shown an excellent return of over 15%.

Safe as houses, you get what you paid in back and then there's a good chance of getting a nice cheque each month which could net you a decent return of around 12% which you won't get in a bank. With £25K you're just below the limit of £30K and the worst thing that could happen is that you don't win anything, in which case you get your £25K back.

davyboy 19 July 2004 10:10 AM

Tel - you got it!

Muffleman 19 July 2004 10:26 AM

Thanks Hammy\Faire D'Income.

Matt

Faire D'Income 19 July 2004 10:30 AM

No worries. It got to the stage where I recognised the envelope so there was always the rise in anticipation levels when I wondered if I had won the big one - a bit like getting the first four numbers on the lottery when you start to believe that your going to the Lamborghini dealership in the morning.

:)

TelBoy 19 July 2004 10:45 AM

15% is outstanding though, let's be clear. I think you had about THREE people's winnings there...!! :)

ProperCharlie 19 July 2004 10:46 AM

also, don't you have to wait 3 months before your PBs start "earning"?

Faire D'Income 19 July 2004 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy
15% is outstanding though, let's be clear. I think you had about THREE people's winnings there...!! :)

You may be right but my wife had some as well and she grossed around 5% which is still better than a savings account - and more fun.

lordharding 19 July 2004 11:55 PM

£500 on P B

The rest on Booze /hookers /

Life can be so short .

scoobyster 20 July 2004 01:16 AM

I think PB yield about 1.5 - 2% on average, I'm on over 5% though. Have turned £5 I was given as a baby (1984) into around a grand by now :o ! Winnings are tax free too IIRC.

Jaybird-UK 20 July 2004 09:44 AM

Im surprised no one has yet to suggest 25,000 scratch cards.... :p

suprabeast 20 July 2004 09:55 AM

they always say you need money to make money so do something useful with it!!

Muffleman 20 July 2004 09:57 AM

Exactly what I was thinking ! Just can't decide what :rolleyes:

Matt

Nexuas 20 July 2004 10:00 AM

Buy a plot on the moon, sure that will be worth a bit in years to come?