ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   mole has started to hurt (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/345647-mole-has-started-to-hurt.html)

ProperCharlie 18 July 2004 06:34 PM

mole has started to hurt

noticed yesterday that a mole on my chest has become sore to touch. other than that it looks pretty normal.

who is the best person to go and see about this? i haven't got around to changing gp since i moved, although i could go back to the old one as it isn't far away. however they are pretty useless and usually take a week or more to give you an appointment.

could i go and get it zapped somewhere, without having to bother with a gp?

Jye 18 July 2004 06:38 PM

I'd be at me GP tommorow tbo.

jye < hypochondriac :)

ScoobyDoo555 18 July 2004 06:39 PM

you gotta be careful with moles. Your best bet is to get down the quacks ASAP. If you explain to the receptionist the nature of the problem, they should be able to fit you in quicker.

Hope it gets sorted quickly, safely and painlessly! :)

Dan

DocJock 18 July 2004 06:39 PM

Get registered at a GP and get it checked over PDQ !!

Seriously, if a mole either changes colour, size or gets painful it needs looking at ASAP
Sort it out tomorrow PC. DO NOT put it off.

ProperCharlie 18 July 2004 06:40 PM

yeah but if i just pitch up there i either won't get seen, or will have to wait around most of the day. plus i've got a fookin audit at work tomorrow - so no chance of not going in. :rolleyes:

ProperCharlie 18 July 2004 06:41 PM

ok, i'll sort it on tuesday then.

i had a look at a melanoma website and it didn't seem to meet the criteria of "abnormal", though.

Nick 18 July 2004 07:07 PM

Charlie

Abnormal moles are difficult to spot with the naked eye. They either have to be removed & tested or checked out with a Siascope.

You should check how your mole looks in comparison to your other moles & also whether it has changed in appearance. The change in a mole from normal to abnormal through melanoma can take several years, so don't worry too much. However this is a cancer risk, so don't mess about & sort it out immediately. Be aware that some GPs have a less than enthusiastic attitude towards moles.

It is essential to see your GP first, who will probably refer you to a dematologist. As someone who has had an abnormal mole removed, I would strongly suggest that you see a dermatologist privately, unless you can get an NHS appointment very quickly. Some GPs also remove moles themselves under the NHS & this may be an option for you. If it is removed, make sure that the mole is tested. If abnormal, I recommend that you get all your moles tested with a SIAscope. I travel to London each year to get mine tested at the Anelca Clinic which is one of the few places in the UK with a SIAscope. Email or PM me for their info if you're interested. It costs me about £180 for a full check-over.

ProperCharlie 18 July 2004 07:21 PM

cheers for the info :)

Nick, YHPM

ProperCharlie 19 July 2004 08:40 AM

just made an appointment to see a BUPA GP. I didn't even know this service existed. phoned up and asked for an appointment:

- is 10:15 ok?
- err, 10:15 when?
- today.

had to explain that i can't make today, so was given 09:00 tomorrow. what a top service! if i tried to phone my local GP it would take about 2 hours to get to speak to someone, and then i would be lucky to get an appointment within a week.

Brendan Hughes 19 July 2004 09:11 AM

Hope he's better than my BUPA dermo. £75 for 15 minutes, refused to answer questions about a second problem I had, and gave me the wrong diagnosis for the first.

ProperCharlie 19 July 2004 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Hope he's better than my BUPA dermo. £75 for 15 minutes, refused to answer questions about a second problem I had, and gave me the wrong diagnosis for the first.

hmm.. me too.

apparently it's £50 for 15 minutes, here. I have absolutetly no confidence in my local gp, though. last time i went there (years ago), it was a locum, and my "consultation" lasted less than 60 seconds :eek: