ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best place for 32" TV? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/345564-best-place-for-32-tv.html)

Da Booga 18 July 2004 12:37 PM

Best place for 32" TV?

My parents are looking for a 32" TV. They're looking to spend about £3-400 but want one that's going to last a few years.

Anyone got any recommendations of sets or sites to buy them from?

Chip 18 July 2004 12:39 PM

www.kelkoo.co.uk

Chip.

Mungo 18 July 2004 02:55 PM

There's a good What Hi-Fi guide out to TVs at the moment for about £4 - gives lots of ratings on the current offerings.

corradoboy 18 July 2004 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mungo
There's a good What Hi-Fi guide out to TVs at the moment for about £4 - gives lots of ratings on the current offerings.

And whichever company places the biggest advert will win the group test :Whatever_

Ask the same question on AV Forums in the CRT TV section.

FWIW, Philips, Panasonic and Toshiba are up there at the mo'. When you've narrowed it down to a couple of specific models use Price Guide to find a good price. Empire are usually very good though.

GC8 18 July 2004 07:21 PM

"Best place for a 32" TV?"

I favour the corner of the lounge.....

what would scooby do 18 July 2004 07:39 PM

:rolleyes: :D:D

Ahem - anyhoo, can I recommend you buy your TV from a shop and not the internet.. I know lots of people who've got warranty/repair grief with internet purchases. The biggest problem I see is that the delivery people get really pi$$ed at having to lump a huge TV and they often give them a hard time in transit.

Buy from local shop, with free delivery and a nice chap to lug it an install it..

ProperCharlie 18 July 2004 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
with free delivery and a nice chap to lug it an install it..

not comet, curry's et al then. had the following conversation a while back in one of those shops:

- and there's a delivery charge of £25, sir.
- that's ok, i'll take it now. i've got a van parked outside.
- but the goods aren't here sir. they're at our warehouse.
- ok, just tell me where your warehouse is and i'll pop round there.
- we don't allow collection from our warehouse.
- ok, get your guys to bring the thing here, once it's here give me a ring, and i'll collect it.
- i'm sorry sir, this item is only available by home delivery from our warehouse.
- well why the f*ck don't you just include the delivery charge in the price, then, cos there's obviously no other f*ckin way to get hold of this fridge, is there? maybe i should buy it and just let the guys at your warehouse keep milk for there tea it there, is that the idea? or did it actually occur to you that i *might* want the fridge to be in *my* house, at some point?

etc etc.

when they eventually delivered it, they managed to break it getting it into the kitchen...

beemerboy 18 July 2004 09:10 PM

i would favour a decent 28" over a cheap 32" anytime......

i just bought one of the display models at comet the other day and got £200 off.
and it didnt come in a box, so he bubble wrapped it and put it on the back seat of my car for me....

was able to watch lads army when i got in :)

just my opinion...

BB:)

Budgie 18 July 2004 10:03 PM

42 inch plasma allday long
on multi directional wall mount

djuk 18 July 2004 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
not comet, curry's et al then. had the following conversation a while back in one of those shops:

- and there's a delivery charge of £25, sir.
- that's ok, i'll take it now. i've got a van parked outside.
- but the goods aren't here sir. they're at our warehouse.
- ok, just tell me where your warehouse is and i'll pop round there.
- we don't allow collection from our warehouse.
- ok, get your guys to bring the thing here, once it's here give me a ring, and i'll collect it.
- i'm sorry sir, this item is only available by home delivery from our warehouse.
- well why the f*ck don't you just include the delivery charge in the price, then, cos there's obviously no other f*ckin way to get hold of this fridge, is there? maybe i should buy it and just let the guys at your warehouse keep milk for there tea it there, is that the idea? or did it actually occur to you that i *might* want the fridge to be in *my* house, at some point?

etc etc.

when they eventually delivered it, they managed to break it getting it into the kitchen...

Oh the experiences with the big multiples :) I work for a major electronics manufacturer who are probably best known for televisions so have the odd dealings with these stores.

Had one very recently where a particular store had sold an ex-display LCD television to a customer under the sales pitch of "oh not been up there long, good as new, etc, etc". Anyhow, customer gets the unit home, uses it for a few days and it goes bang. So we have the unit in for inspection, hook it up to the diagnostics and look at the system clock - just under 5000 hours on the clock :D

So much for confidence in the big names!

gregjd 18 July 2004 10:57 PM

find the set you want on www.pricerunner.co.uk
Of all the cheap stockists, find one that's not just an online retailer (ie they have a shop somewhere).. Call them to check the price.. Then call John lewis who will pricematch AND give you a 5 year guarantee.. I would recommend a Toshiba Strata BTW (bit more than £400 though).. Sorted my Father in Law out with one via the above route and I prefer it to the Philips Pixel Plus jobbie I recently bought..Doh!

James Neill 19 July 2004 03:23 AM

I have an LG 32". This seems to be the equivalent model now

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDe...ReferrerCode=1

It's superb!