ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cant fly this year...gutted. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/345399-cant-fly-this-year-gutted.html)

yoza 17 July 2004 04:37 PM

Cant fly this year...gutted.

Our holidays are looming. (Usually a big :D feeling, but.. )

My better half is pregnant ( will be 30 weeks ish ) and doesnt want to fly, fair enough.

We go abroad every year, and basically if I dont go and lie in the sun for two weeks it has an adverse effect on the rest of my year. :(

Im thinking of driving to sunnier climbs, but where to go ? :confused:

Willing to go the full hog, ie drive ( my own car ) then get on a boat, or a train etc.
Also willing to stay in a caravan or tent, even take my own tent and set it up where ever we land.

Dont want to drive for more than say 10-12 hours.

Destination must be sunny, or at least more chance of sunnyness than say going to Newquay for two weeks. Also must have a beach and pool and whatever usually comes with a pool and beachy type break.

Ideas please.

Me, the other half, and a 12 year old neice.....

Thanks in advance.

PS. Up to now its Hendra holiday park in Newquay, Cornwall, in a tent or challet/caravan. This has the pool, the beach, kids club type ameaneties etc.

But you cant guarantee the weather, and the way its been this week hasnt given me any confidence to go and book.

Later Yoza

tiggers 17 July 2004 04:45 PM

Drive to Plymouth
Ferry to Santander
Explore Northern Spain

Just a suggestion - guaranteed sun, heat and cheap food/drink.

tiggers.

jjones 17 July 2004 04:47 PM

does your mrs want the sun? what with her added central heating system she may find it too much.

Hammy Hamster 17 July 2004 04:50 PM

French motorail down to the south of France?

Can work out a tad expensive though.

ProperCharlie 17 July 2004 05:15 PM

what about eurostar to south of france? did that last ywear and it was a very painless way to travel - and not more expensive than flying.

imlach 17 July 2004 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by yoza
....and basically if I dont go and lie in the sun for two weeks it has an adverse effect on the rest of my year. :(

You had better get used to it mate :D
Come 10 weeks time, you're going to have more to get stressed about than two weeks in the sun....hehehehe.

Bravo2zero_sps 17 July 2004 08:27 PM

Yoza i've got a similar problem. No idea where to go, was thinking Cornwall but like you say the weather has been a joke plus with baby on the way/moving house cash isn't exactly plentiful at the moment.

Also you have got the problem of travel/medical insurance as pregnancy after a certain number of weeks isn't covered so if anything happens where you need to see a doctor or go to hospital your gonna get stung big time abroad financially :rolleyes:

GarethE 17 July 2004 08:31 PM

Costa del Barry, s. Wales :D ;)

J4CKO 17 July 2004 08:39 PM

Leave her at home to gestate and go to Kavos with your mates !

Poor Guy 17 July 2004 08:46 PM

french motorail to nice is £900 one car, 4 berth accom.
Drive to Italy. We were gunna do that but then decided to fly so we could see Rome.

mart360 17 July 2004 08:54 PM

eurostar,, late crossing... 9.30 pm...

then blast through france... belguim. and luxembourg... and into the bottom end of germany...

takes about 6/7 hrs....

stay overnight and then next day late drive down through spain nother 6/7 hours

(120+ all the way)

mart

imlach 17 July 2004 09:04 PM

You ought to be thinking more about your pregnant partner.... :D

A pool is essential, but I'm sure she'd like to be pampered too in some kind of spa/resort. She won't thank you for being couped up for a long car journey, nor a lot of heat in sunnier climes.

Have you asked HER what she may like to do given she'll be more tired than usual, and won't be able to do much in the way of physical activities etc :D

Mr Devil's Advocate....

Corgi 17 July 2004 09:56 PM

West Kirby :)

ScoobyDoo555 18 July 2004 09:32 AM

West Coast of France..... great weather :)

Dan

STi-Frenchie 18 July 2004 10:31 AM

Get yerself and yer missus over here Yoza, you know it's the right thing to do. The weather is just starting to get better (hitting 30 these days) but it's nothing like last year when we roasted, and there's no sign of that happening again this year. Definitely supportable for a woman with child. All you have to watch out for are the radars so the tip is...stay off the motorways (anyway, they are ***packed*** at the moment so going by the normal roads is probably gonna be faster, safer and less stressful).

stevem2k 18 July 2004 11:48 AM

West Coast of France..... great weather
Second that - just back from Arcachon ( down to Bordeaux, hang a right and head for the cost )

'twer lovely. 450 miles from Cherbourg , 300 on autoroute / dual carriageways.

Steve

yoza 18 July 2004 05:16 PM

Thanks for the replies....

Still not sure what to do :confused:, I was under the impression that it was just the flight that was out.

Now it turns out that she doesnt want it too hot either, nor does she want to be couped up in a car for hours on end ( especially my car, with me driving ). Shes never been on a big boat before and shes not sure whether she would like it, didnt bother mentioning a tent...:rolleyes:

May just write it off, stay local and chill.

Most realistic up to now.........................West Kirby :(

Oh, I tried the ' can I go with the lads bit ', and the side of my face started stinging..:)

GC8 18 July 2004 07:14 PM

New Brighton?

imlach 18 July 2004 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by yoza
T I was under the impression that it was just the flight that was out.

Now it turns out that she doesnt want it too hot either, nor does she want to be couped up in a car for hours on end ( especially my car, with me driving ). Shes never been on a big boat before and shes not sure whether she would like it, didnt bother mentioning a tent...:rolleyes:

See my reply No.12 above :D
Told ya :D

Ask HER what she'd like to go & do/see. That way, you can perhaps find somewhere suited to both of you. Alternatively, strap on 2-3 stone to your tummy, and see how it feels in the heat :D

Spoon 18 July 2004 09:25 PM

That means you won't be needing the flip flops then? :D

Seriously though, I'd say I was nipping out for a pint of milk and return 3 weeks later, after all, this is going to be your last chance chill holiday for 16/17 years.

yoza 18 July 2004 09:39 PM

There is no way Im hanging up my Flip-Flops, not yet.

Imlach, good advice ask her, didnt think of that. :)

So I asked her, she said.

" Why dont you use your time off to decorate the bedroom, or construct that carport you want." :eek:

Yeah right.......