ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What fuel to use for a ecutek 3? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/345251-what-fuel-to-use-for-a-ecutek-3-a.html)

taffyboyo 16 July 2004 09:30 PM

What fuel to use for a ecutek 3?

I'm having the ecutek 3 remap, done on my car next week,sti 5 full decat.
optimax is probably the best petrol to use but for me its a bit of a pain to get all the time, I was just wondering will it make that much of a difference if it was mapped just using sul?
Cheers
Taffy

FB Tuning 16 July 2004 09:37 PM

It will be mapped to suit whatever fuel is in the tank at the time.
Optimax is the 'choice' fuel as it has the highest RON rating available at the UK pumps.
Ultimately, a lower octane fuel = less power!

taffyboyo 16 July 2004 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
It will be mapped to suit whatever fuel is in the tank at the time.
Optimax is the 'choice' fuel as it has the highest RON rating available at the UK pumps.
Ultimately, a lower octane fuel = less power!

how much less? would it be noticable difference?

fuz 16 July 2004 10:04 PM

Scottimax, worth the drive and the extra 50bhp

Eagle7 16 July 2004 11:25 PM

It depends on what you intend to use regularly. Theres not a whole lot of point filling it with optimax and getting it mapped and then coming home and continuing to fill with SUL. You are likely to get detonation or some other nastiness that way.

Fill it with whatever fuel you intend to stick to after the mapping. It's as simple as that.

taffyboyo 17 July 2004 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eagle7
It depends on what you intend to use regularly. Theres not a whole lot of point filling it with optimax and getting it mapped and then coming home and continuing to fill with SUL. You are likely to get detonation or some other nastiness that way.

Fill it with whatever fuel you intend to stick to after the mapping. It's as simple as that.

Eagle, thanks for the reply, but the question I'm asking is, is there any noticable difference in performance between getting the car mapped to run on sul or optimax?
sorry for not making it clear,
I know that it will be mapped with what petrol that is in it, and I know that when its mapped for that petrol I will have to carry on using that petrol.

Gidney&Knowlesy 17 July 2004 08:57 AM

If for argument's sake you used SUL & mapped the car then as long as you kept putting that in no worries. If you then added Optimax & for good measure NF Race, the ECU would self learn & adapt.

If you then went back to SUL, it would self learn & again adapt. ;)

Gidney&Knowlesy 17 July 2004 08:58 AM

It won't adapt to diesel though.......

taffyboyo 17 July 2004 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by XtremeScoobies
It won't adapt to diesel though.......

That was next question ;)

see you Tuesday,
Taffy

Fangoria 17 July 2004 05:08 PM

If it self adapts to better fuel does that mean it self adapts/retards to the poorer stuff then - i.e. if you filled with Optimax and then used say SUL?