ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Lightweight "PULLEYS" - YOUR OPINION ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/343920-lightweight-pulleys-your-opinion.html)

greathorton 12 July 2004 04:35 PM

Lightweight "PULLEYS" - YOUR OPINION ???

Hi all,
im interested in buying "Unorthadox Racing Pulleys" probably crank pulley
is there any benefits??
has anyone got one fitted ?
your opinion will be appreciated
thanx in advance
ZED

Wurzel 12 July 2004 05:01 PM

I have the Perrin crank pulley fitted and it has made a huge difference, the OEM pulley weighs 2700g and the Perrin one weighs 550g so you work out the maths but yes is the answer to your question. I have it on an MY00.

greathorton 12 July 2004 05:13 PM

Pulley

Thanx Wurzel,

where can i purchase Perrin pulley ? what sort of price is it ?

Would I be right in thinking that, I should buy a pulley that weighs around 500- 600g ???

Thanx
ZED

ps: oh and u say it has made a big difference, could u tell me anymore? dyno difference? 0-60 time etc ?

Wurzel 12 July 2004 05:39 PM

Zed AFAIK Scoobymania sell them but wouldn't swear to it.

as for the difference!! the car has not been dynoed but the response and pick up is alot quicker and smoother gear changes are smoother and quicker, the engine is not having to spool up a 2.5kg steel block anymore.

one thing you will notice though is the idle will feel lumpy as the balance between the front pulley and the rear flywheel is no longer the same. You can counteract this by increasing the idle speed or by changing the flywheel using the same percentage of change as the front.which will be about 20%, this however would result in the rear flywheel being to light so it is best to go for one around 7 - 8 kg and then adjust the idle speed accordingly, you will then keep the engine in balance and also gain from having lighter spinning parts, so faster acceleration.

Good luck

Steve

cheeseboy 12 July 2004 05:41 PM

wow., an interesting and correct answer from Steve ;)

scaaary :D

greathorton 12 July 2004 06:04 PM

thanx

Hi steve,
I already have a Exedy Lightweight flywheel and clutch fitted, will i be okay by fitting the Perrin crank pulley ?
When u say idling problems, does that mean with light pulley, the revs will jump up/down from say 800 -2000 in a eratic fashion ?

thanx
ZED

Mrs_Wurzel 12 July 2004 07:49 PM

Hi Zed

I am currently on another PC so no I am not wierd :D

No M8 there is no real idleing problem what I meant was due to the weights changing the balance of the engine is thrown out a bit, the balance can be regained by increasing the tick over so that the engine is spinning just a bit faster.

If your engine is varying its idle between 800 and 2000 then this is called hunting and is usually down to a hickup in the ECU have you had your ecu remapped at all?

I am no expert on this but my first EFI car used to do this which was put down to a dodgy ecu map.

hope this helps

Steve

greathorton 12 July 2004 08:09 PM

pulley

sorry 2 confuse steve,
there is no 800 - 2000 rev problem - i just wondered is that what happens if u fit a light pulley!?
okay i will now look out4 light pulley
thanx
ZED

wrrrx 13 July 2004 03:29 AM

I just wanted to add- there is a major difference between the Perrin pulleys and the Unorthodox Racing pulleys; Perrin's do not "underdrive" anything, so there's no danger of draining your battery w/ your gigantic amplifiers and subwoofers and what not... :lol1:
Personally, I think that's the way to go- lightweight, but not underdriving.

my 2 pence,
Russ R

greathorton 13 July 2004 01:59 PM

hi russ,
will the battery still drain by the underdrive if i just replace the crank pulley ? or will it drain if i replace alternator pulley ?
as i plan only to get the crank pulley

regards,
zed

ps : there are no heavyduty subwoofers,i enjoy listening to the engine roar!

David_Wallis 13 July 2004 02:35 PM

as mentioned before the std crank pulley also functions as a harmonic balancer..

My engine was also balanced with the crank pulley fitted.. so I would be reluctant to change.

No probs in changing PS and Alternator though.

greathorton 13 July 2004 02:46 PM

scoobyecu

Thanx 4 that david !

i have pm'd /emailed u with regard to scooby ecu ....could u help me, im in bradford

regards,
zed