ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The church shows its true colours (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/342583-the-church-shows-its-true-colours.html)

Geezer 07 July 2004 12:03 PM

The church shows its true colours

In the news today, the Diocese of Portland Oregon, USA has filed for bankruptcy because it cannot meet the claims against if by people abused by their priests.

Instead of acting like the Christians they pupport to be, and giving up their worldly wealth, or even exposing these perverts and ejecting them from the church, they have cruelly denied compensation for these people.

It just shows what a corrupt, evil, out of touch institution the church is.

tw@ts

Although I'm not a believer, millions of people who do believe are honest and decent and look to the church for guidance or community, how let down they are!

Geezer

philc 07 July 2004 12:14 PM

I'm somewhat bemused that offending priests, when discovered, were simply shifted to different parishes to carry on where they left off.

And although some of the offending priests are now being prosecuted I've yet to hear of a bishop or archbishop being charged with aiding and abetting a criminal when they knew of their subordinates' behaviour, acknowledged it as unacceptable and virtually let it continue

something strange is afoot .... or am I being naive; justice is only meted out on the lower ranks?

r32 07 July 2004 12:16 PM

Think youre taring everyone with the same brush here ...................

Geezer 07 July 2004 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by r32
Think youre taring everyone with the same brush here ...................

"In February 2004, a report commissioned by the Church said more than 4,000 Roman Catholic priests in the US had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years. "

Also, there are countless cases here and in other countries of the same thing. It's not small numbers. The church is a hiding place for perverts.

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush at all, did I at any point say all priests are child abusers? No, I did not. An institution can be corrupt when many of it's members are not. The church's behaviour in these matters is indefensible. Priests are not brought to book for these crimes, they are protected. It's disgusting.

Geezer

ChrisB 07 July 2004 12:28 PM

"In February 2004, a report commissioned by the Church said more than 4,000 Roman Catholic priests in the US had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years. "
al·le·ga·tion
"Law. An assertion made by a party that must be proved or supported with evidence."

I'm just wondering how many of those allegations have been proved?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 07 July 2004 12:30 PM

I visited the Vatican the other day & an incredible place it is too - well worth the visit.

However, just thinking about it made me sick with the thought of ALL the money that the church took off people over the ages just so that some Pope or other could spend it on making his extravagant mark on the place :(

I'm sure Christ didn't expect such profligate spending on glorifying his name when that money could've been spent helping the poor and needy...

joni 07 July 2004 02:25 PM

Geezer, by implication you are indeed tarring the whole "Church" with the brush that should be used specificly for the Roman Catholics in this instance. BTW I don't disagree with your sentiments...just the breadth of your brush ;)

Geezer 07 July 2004 03:08 PM

I think that the Roman Catholic church is the biggest problem, yes. However, I'm sure that C of E ain't whiter than white either.

Obviously the rat catchers are leagues ahead in wealth (until all these claims are settled anyhow ;) )

Geezer

vindaloo 07 July 2004 04:17 PM

If you undermine the church in the USA, are you removing one of the major facets of society. A major part of peoples' belief systems.

<opens can of worms>

At least there's a visible structure (or structures) to Christianity.

<runs for cover>

J.

Jye 07 July 2004 05:11 PM

Religion = disturbed people