ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Top Tip - Classic Owners (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/339582-top-tip-classic-owners.html)

sulli 27 June 2004 02:47 AM

Top Tip - Classic Owners

I have always been irritated by the MDF panel which goes over the spare wheel, jumping around when I go over speed humps.
I've also always wondered what those straps around it are for???
Well, last week, I put two and two together, and loosened the straps right off, made sure the spare was screwed down tight, and strapped the board round the spare, clipping it tight into place when done.
Bingo :D board is fixed tight and won't move, and will also come off just by releasing the clips.
Sorry if this is old news, but I was well pleased, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who wondered what those straps were for.:cool:

Flat 4x4 27 June 2004 09:17 AM

I sold my Impreza over a year ago but I never worked this one out ! ;)

scunnered 27 June 2004 09:37 AM

I bet you didn't know you had cup holders either.

Flat 4x4 27 June 2004 12:07 PM

Liquid + cup + holder + impreza + acceleration = spill

Those lidded baby-style cups work much better :)

sulli 27 June 2004 12:30 PM

i have one cupholder, in between the front seats - where's the rest?

Iwan 27 June 2004 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sulli

In the dashboard, just below the air vents. Jap spec classics have 2 there and UK classics have 1.

SiDHEaD 27 June 2004 12:32 PM

Mine doesnt flap theres a sub on top of it :D

chrisp 27 June 2004 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan
In the dashboard, just below the air vents. Jap spec classics have 2 there and UK classics have 1.

only one on my my00 jdm ra

hoskib 27 June 2004 02:45 PM

and i thought thoses straps were to hold my golf brolly in:rolleyes:.

oh well, live and learn:)

APIDavid 27 June 2004 06:59 PM

Mine doesn't always come out with me, sometimes she has to stay home and do housework.

Flameproof suit on.

:D

*Sonic* 27 June 2004 07:06 PM

LOL @ David

I dont have any straps on mine

Front Seats !!!!! you mean I have back seats as well :)

Richard Askew 27 June 2004 07:12 PM

I have always been irritated by the MDF panel which goes over the spare wheel, jumping around when I go over speed humps.
I've also always wondered what those straps around it are for???
Well, last week, I put two and two together, and loosened the straps right off, made sure the spare was screwed down tight, and strapped the board round the spare, clipping it tight into place when done.
Bingo :D board is fixed tight and won't move, and will also come off just by releasing the clips.
Sorry if this is old news, but I was well pleased, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who wondered what those straps were for.:cool:

..well bugger me senseless and call me Jessica!!! 4 years and 2 Imprezas and I'd never worked that out!!!

Cheers Sulli :D

cheeky69er 28 June 2004 09:01 AM

How are you supposed to get the cupholder out then?
Mine just seems to be solid, doesnt budge, so I assumed it was just a blanking plate.

TonyFlow 28 June 2004 09:15 AM

MY98's didnt have the cupholder - just a blanking plate (my old one didnt anyways) My Type R 5 has only one cupholder in the dash (and one in the arm rest thingy-me-jiggy)

alcazar 28 June 2004 03:10 PM

In a '98 UK car it's defo a blanking plate as I removed it to fit my DEFI control box.

Alcazar

davegtt 28 June 2004 03:19 PM

so on a 98 car its only a blanking plate? interesting, is it me or are the blanking plates cr@p in the sence that they dont line up very well etc? looks like some1` thought it was a cup holder and was pushing it in etc trying to get it to work and broke it... ?

messiah 28 June 2004 04:36 PM

mdf panels? cup holders? anything else i don't know about? like a switch to make the clock brighter?

:)

Mungo 28 June 2004 04:39 PM

I'm using the straps to hold my warning triangle in - always wondered whay they were for!

cheeky69er 28 June 2004 04:52 PM

yep, MY98 and defo a blanking plate.
is that really all the bright button does- make the clock brighter?

Jake 28 June 2004 05:01 PM

My MY00 UK doesnt have any straps in the boot??

P5TPB 28 June 2004 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan

I have had my MY97 Jap Spec STi for about 2 years and have just found the twin cup holders in the dash......are there any more?, coz I haven't found any more :rolleyes: :confused:

Tim / P5TPB

julian N/W wrx my93 28 June 2004 05:14 PM

wot about the little lever on the boot latch.........

to do with the boot opener inside the car!

one way you can use the remote opener, the other you can't and need to use the key in the lock!

NotoriousREV 28 June 2004 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93
wot about the little lever on the boot latch.........

to do with the boot opener inside the car!

one way you can use the remote opener, the other you can't and need to use the key in the lock!

so that's what that does!!!

julian N/W wrx my93 28 June 2004 05:23 PM

took me 6 months to discover that one!

and then you have all the spare wires/connectors hanging under the dash.

1 pair is ecu reset, another is the solinoid cicky thingy and the rest well i just don't know!

prodriva 28 June 2004 05:25 PM

Or what about, if your windows are allways covered in condensation, make sure your vent settings are not on re-circulating. That fresh air makes all the difference ;)

ALi-B 28 June 2004 05:59 PM

Is the Owners manual on imprezas an extra?...looks like some don't have one ;)

Dump that bit of flimsy cardboard in the boot that covers your spare wheel, buy some nice 1/2" thick Mdf, and make a custom floor with an opening hatch for the spare :cool: - I did apart from I used chipboard as I had a sheet handy. Makes a good flat base for mounting subs too :)

TonyNesta 29 June 2004 12:45 PM

The dash blanking plate in the MY98 can be removed and replaced with the MY99 cupholder - I did this for about £12. You just need to remove the dash top storage bin first to get at the screws.

T

davegtt 29 June 2004 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by TonyNesta
The dash blanking plate in the MY98 can be removed and replaced with the MY99 cupholder - I did this for about £12. You just need to remove the dash top storage bin first to get at the screws.

T

Im interested n doing this, did u get the cup holder from subaru dealer or elsewhere?

also how do u remove that top storage bin, is it an easy job?

thanks

Dodge 29 June 2004 03:52 PM

Well done all - a fascinating and eye-opening thread!

scoobimax 29 June 2004 04:09 PM

Don't forget the coin holder low down in the dash to the right of the steering wheel! (MY99 UK)

Max.