ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Engine management light - M reg Astra Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/339557-engine-management-light-m-reg-astra-sport.html)

Dave East 26 June 2004 11:41 PM

Engine management light - M reg Astra Sport

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. My misses has an M reg 1.8 16v Ecote.ch Astra Sport, its done around 48K miles. The engine managment light came on recently and it was running rough.

Replaced the Idle control valve and although the car began running better the engine managment light came back on. Called the AA, who ran fault code and said the Crank sensor was faulty, as was the Lambda sensor.

Have had both of these replaced (very feckin expensive as well!) and the bloody light still comes on. I'm thinking maybe a faulty ECU? Am just about fecked off with this bloody car.

Can anyone help - have any ideas? Anything would be usefull (car has recently been serviced, new plugs, leads etc and oil change)

Cheers guys and gals

Dave

Big Col 27 June 2004 04:40 AM

in future read the fault code yourself.

learn how here

Big Col 27 June 2004 02:45 PM

also if the crank sensor is faulty the engine limits itself to approx 3.5Krpm. Was it doing this?

Dave East 27 June 2004 03:18 PM

No! It wasn't limiting the revs. But the car would be running fine, driving along then all of a sudden the management light would come on and hte car would lurch off down the road, eventually cutting out.

The fault was intermittant, and we had to wait unitll the light stayed on for the fault codes to be read off.

Maybe the kangaroo style was the revs being cut?

Big Col 27 June 2004 03:28 PM

Mmm, difficult to say. Possibly an EGR problem. Common on the ECOTECS.

Go read the fault code yourself, then report back.

Try posting on here

Say Big Col sent you ;)

p@ul 27 June 2004 06:10 PM

Had exactly the same car but N plate and mine did the same thing for about a year,tryed allsorts but gave up and got rid in the end.Was a good car apart from that really but they are notorious for it m8 :(

Steve V8 27 June 2004 08:12 PM

Camshaft sensor is the usual culprit on these.
Also disconnect the battery and leave it overnight. Reconnect in the morning. This fully resets the ECU and can get rid of problems.

(Don't forget about radio codes etc)

Steve vRS 27 June 2004 08:31 PM

Had the same thing with mine a few years ago. It was my exhaust gas recirc valve.

Steve

Dave East 28 June 2004 04:58 PM

Cheers guys for all the responses! These problems are really beginning to get to me and my misses!

BLOODY ELECTRONICS!

If it were the exhaust gas recirc valve, then would that effect the running of the car? Just asking as the car played up bad yesterday, on a run to Southampton. About 45 mins into journy the car began to lurch under power. Would engine temp effect this? Management light only comes on after engine has been running for a while.

Cheers again guys, if I can get this sorted hten I owe you all a drink!!!

All the best

Dave.