ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   3G phones - worth the fuss? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/338837-3g-phones-worth-the-fuss.html)

Brendan Hughes 24 June 2004 03:25 PM

3G phones - worth the fuss?

These are now starting to be heavily advertised around here. The videophone option seems quite cute.

Will dump my Communicator next year (wanted P900, now waiting for P1000 :rolleyes:;) ), and cough up my hard-earned for a new phone (/PDA) to last another 4-5 years.

How much will it be worth investing in a 3G phone? I heard current videophones have crap delivery of smooth pictures. Will it be the Real Deal, or just another WAP? (Over-marketed, over-priced, under-performing).

Ray_li 24 June 2004 03:39 PM

Where are you?
Im in Birmingham and Im paying £35 per month for a phone that does not work.
Cant get any reception on the phone when Im at home ane the battery life is sh1t.
Had a small scratch on the back and Phones4u was not willing to give a a refund.

Ray.

Brendan Hughes 24 June 2004 03:43 PM

Portugal Ray :)

You don't sound too enamoured...

That would be another question - if I have to buy it on contract to use some funny data line. Mine's just PAYG at present, and I'm hoping to do the same with the new one. I originally bought it on contract, coz that's how it was, but also in order to get a separate data line for the fax. And how often did I actually use the fax? Step forward and take a bow, Mr single test page... :(

angrynorth 24 June 2004 03:51 PM

I've got one that I haven't switched on for a year, still paying the contract. I am just waiting for them to bring out a better phone to upgrade to. Personally I never had any reception problems, it was just the phone that was crap.

Ray_li 24 June 2004 03:55 PM

Didnt buy the phone for videophone for it for 750 mins anytime any network. What a load of sh1t.
Dont use phones4u bunch of to55ers.
In fact if I was gonna go on a killing spree...... :D:D

Ray

Mr.Manchester 24 June 2004 04:04 PM

we bought one last year and took it back within a week, crap phone and crap reception!

carl 24 June 2004 05:54 PM

You thinking of using VF PT?

Brendan Hughes 24 June 2004 06:44 PM

Sorry carl, was that aimed at me, and if so could I have it again in English? :)

scoobys20mgh 24 June 2004 07:11 PM

Don't do it, for gods sake don't get one...rubbish reception, battery life was a joke - even though they give you two batteries!! mine's in my drawer, not used it for months....waiting for July so I can cancel, worst thing I ever bought!! apart from an Alfa Romeo GTV but that's another story....Mike

ScoobywagonGl 24 June 2004 07:19 PM

I dont have a problem with my 3g phone i also live in a village where you cant even get broadband and i have a good strong signal 99% of the time! it does occasionally drop out but dont all networks! currently i have the motorola a835 upgraded from the motorola a920 which was crapper than a crap thing!

Im also thinking of getting another 3g phone as ive seen one i quite fancy :D

carl 24 June 2004 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Sorry carl, was that aimed at me, and if so could I have it again in English? :)

Sorry, I was enquiring whether you were intending to use Vodafone Portugal.