ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brake Problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/336541-brake-problems.html)

Mikez 16 June 2004 12:53 PM

Brake Problems

Re: Impreza 1.8GL (1994)

When braking it sounds like the pads have worn out (horrible grating noise). I just checked and there is about 4mm left on them? Can anyone explain this?

Also can anyone tell me how to replace them, as I cant see a simple way of doing it?

Rgds,
Mike

RON 16 June 2004 06:43 PM

You may have a stone stuck somewhere, did you remove the pads??

Miniman 17 June 2004 01:21 PM

Is it the squeal devices put on there to warn you they are worn down? Never heard them myself, but previous threads have stated "you will know when you here it", sounds likely as you say its a horrible sound.

RON 17 June 2004 11:12 PM

The little squel thingy's need the pad to be down to about 1mm though, so it's more than likely not that!!

Mikez 18 June 2004 12:51 PM

Thanks guys, looks like its bad news. I took the pads out and they are fine and there is a new development - i heard the grating when turning without braking this morning so it looks like it is caused by too much free play on the wheel.

This isn't a great surprise since all the driveshaft/cv bellows split awhile ago and it is in great need of attention and is prob the reason why there is so much free play on the wheel. Odd though as I have tried pull/pushing the wheel to see if there was any movement and didn't notice any?

I can try tightening the wheel bearing nut a bit in case it is too loose.

rgds,
mikez

DaveW 18 June 2004 02:47 PM

Check that the disks aren't rusted up (on the inside face) so they catch the pad wear indicators. Had it on my MY99, pads were fine. cleaned up the disks (wire brush) and the noise disappeared.

Dave.

Mikez 18 June 2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW
Check that the disks aren't rusted up (on the inside face) so they catch the pad wear indicators. Had it on my MY99, pads were fine. cleaned up the disks (wire brush) and the noise disappeared.

Dave.

I never noticed any pad wear indicators?

Mikez 20 June 2004 03:56 PM

Problem found when looked at the other side. Noise was wronly identified as left side and when I looked at the other side I found a single pad worn out, odd when the others have all got 4mm left!

Thanks guys, especially advice on how to change the pads, easiest pad relpacement I ever saw - well designed!

TA!
mike

Apple 20 June 2004 05:42 PM

Mike,

Apart from my answer on your other post, what kind of callipers have you got on the axle where you've changed the pad? 2-pot, 4-pot or sliding calipers?

I'm only asking as if you've got one pad that's worn away and the rest are OK then it sounds like you've got sticking calipers :( which might need checking out / freeing up.

Apple

Haxzer 20 June 2004 06:53 PM

Just had same issue with mine.., The metal clip on the brake pad was catching on the disc.
Look down the bacl of the disc and see if you can see a little piece of metal catching on the disc, if so bend it back a bit!!

Matt

Mikez 22 June 2004 08:13 AM

New pads in (was very easy job - well designed brake system!), road tested and everything is fine. Looks like the disc is ok.

I did have one problem in that the new pads didn't fit (only cheapo's - Ferodo). They were the right pads but they had a rough edge on them that prevented them fitting between the clips without a wee clean up of the end edges with a file.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

rgds,
Mike