ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What are my employer's options? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/336276-what-are-my-employers-options.html)

markr1963 15 June 2004 02:11 PM

What are my employer's options?

I've handed my notice in as I'm off to OZ in a couple of months :D :D We're only a small company and I manage all IT for 20 odd users in 2 locations. So that includes user support, PC hardware and software installation and support, network hardware and software installation and support, all internet/VPN stuff, database development, some phone system maintenance, electrical safety testing of office appliances, some design work for adverts and the like... the list goes on. There's more than enough for one full time bod.

I need to know what our options are as to when I jump ship. My boss is on about limiting some of the database development which would probably reduce the workload below 1 FTE. What's the going rate for a bod to directly replace me (we're in Chesterfield)? Could some of this be outsourced? I'm thinking network support in particular where things are fairly static apart from an imminent server upgrade. Maybe user support too though how close to the immediate response (well, sometimes ;) ) our users currently get could we realistically achieve I don't have a clue. It's fair to say some of the day to day stuff can be done by some of our bods but while they may be able to follow crib sheets for various tasks if something unexpected turns up they're stuffed.

I am keen to try and help the company as best I can through any transition so if anyone can offer ideas/suggestions/throw their hat in the ring etc I'd be grateful

TIA
Mark

ChrisB 15 June 2004 03:47 PM

:cool: mate - I feel a curry and beer sesh in Derby coming on :D

You should find that this is the sort of thing local IT / Network companies would be happy to quote for if you don't want to keep it in house. They'd probably look to have RAS or VPN access to the server for immediate support and offer on-site visits as required (ie critical problems or to mop up assorted minor user problems).

Chris.

markr1963 15 June 2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
:cool: mate - I feel a curry and beer sesh in Derby coming on :D

Now there's an idea :D

I'll have a look round locally for suitable firms

Cheers
Mark

DemonDave 15 June 2004 09:31 PM

mark,

it all depends on what the company wants ... do they want to employ and have full control or outsource and rely on agreements ...

what kinda salary would they pay to employ somebody to do the job .. my firm are in the process of getting rid of people and I know some v good people who would love a chance to jump ship asap.

Dave.

markr1963 16 June 2004 12:50 PM

Dave

I suspect my bosses will be reluctant to relinquish any control so outsourcing may be a non starter anyway. As for salary I'll have a word when I'm back in the office (Thursday)

Mark

DemonDave 16 June 2004 11:20 PM

Mark,

pm me an idea and I will shout around .... :) ilson .... u know shipley view ??

Dave ;)

markr1963 18 June 2004 12:24 PM

Dave

It looks like I won't be getting to talk to the bosses until sometime next week. I'll PM you when I have some clue as to what they intend to do.

Shipley View? Sure, I know it (don't get up there very often though). I'm from the other side of town off Notts Road.

Mark