ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   With Summer come the (squashed) bugs (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/335993-with-summer-come-the-squashed-bugs.html)

Phil Harrison 14 June 2004 02:52 PM

With Summer come the (squashed) bugs

....What are peoples best tips for removing them from the paintwork with minimum elbow grease and best effect (not to mention least harm to aforementioned paint!!)

Phil

BAH 14 June 2004 02:55 PM

Ive got the Meguires Quick detailer spray, takes them off with ease...

Helps if you car has a nice coat of wax on before hand...;)

Nathan L 14 June 2004 02:58 PM

Just don't drive so fast Phil :p

:D

16vmarc 14 June 2004 03:21 PM

Dont use turtle wax bug and tar remover what ever you do, its too harsh.

bogie 14 June 2004 03:24 PM

They come easier the less time they are allowed to bake on.

I usually try and wash them off the front of the car whenever I return from a run.

Not always practical, can be a pain in the erse but worth the few minutes to save loads of extra work at the end of the week.

Bogie

IN THE STICKS 14 June 2004 03:25 PM

Give it a good wash /soaking first (this softens the dead bugs ) , then go over it with a nice soapy SOFT brush ...bugs gone , helps if you have a nice wax underneath too

Dave

megabusa 14 June 2004 04:11 PM

I've got some 'special' stuff, you dilute it, spray it onto a wet car and then wash as normal. The flies (along with tar and other crap) melt away with the soapy water. It is also safe to use, causes nop harm to paintwork. It also works on wheels safely too, and I know because I have been using it for 5 years now ;)

pmarch 14 June 2004 04:34 PM

The RSPB (Royal Society for Protection of Birds) have been asking their members to do a survey of how many insects are being caught on front number plate. All I know is that there is a fraction of the insects after a run than there used to be. Back in an arguably better motoring age circa 1969-1984 (apart from the sad fact that there were no Scoobies), after a run down the A303 to Cornwall, the front of cars used to be really plastered.

For what it's worth, I also try and wash insects, tree sap or sugary deposits from insects in trees promptly before it all gets baked on. If lots of insects etc. do get baked on, I would still just use an ordinary wash shampoo but put in lot's of extra effort with a good sponge - it does come off eventually but it's hard work. I would only use something stronger and rinse it off as quickly as possible with water, if there were also a lot of tar spots.

what would scooby do 14 June 2004 04:36 PM

I just buy a new car when the old one gets dirty

;)

Stuart Knight 14 June 2004 07:04 PM

Take an old sheet, lay across the front of the car and soak with your hose. Leave for a few mins, then remove sheet and wash as normal. Helps if you have a good wax as well.

explore 14 June 2004 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
....What are peoples best tips for removing them from the paintwork with minimum elbow grease and best effect (not to mention least harm to aforementioned paint!!)

Phil

if you have waxed your car well they will come off easy when you wash it, mine does everytime

midlander123 14 June 2004 07:18 PM

Bugs.....

The lanes in Cornwall tend to attract bugs the size of small aircraft....so its not the bug removal I have a problem with but the large areas of dried on blood.......
Tony

megabusa 14 June 2004 07:19 PM

if you wanna try some of the stuff I use I may be able to send you some

flyte 14 June 2004 10:49 PM

Just use one of those polyester miracle cloths with some good car shampoo (add a bit of finger nail as required!)

flyte 14 June 2004 10:50 PM

don't forget to count the bugs (not!) - the sparrows need our help!

hybwrx2002 15 June 2004 01:02 PM

Just read a interesting column in the paper. It's best to clear off bird crap as soon as you can, as the acid in it eats away at the water based paint on cars. Leaving it with a faint mark of where the crap was. Wash/was as much as you like it'll still be there.

pappasmurf 15 June 2004 01:13 PM

...cover the front of the car with yellow fly paper before a run.

Gidney&Knowlesy 15 June 2004 02:08 PM

Swissol do a number of pre treatment aids available at www.performanceparts4u.com

Work well on my bike........ ;)

WR1 Bro 15 June 2004 02:17 PM

Book car into Subaru for a ficticous warranty issue.... Car comes back spotless!!

Clive the Brave 15 June 2004 03:44 PM

If a bird takes a dump on your Scooby,,,,,,, dump the bit*h and go for a blonde next time.

I find the a quick soak with a sponge, get the rubber gloves on, make sure the water is dam HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hotter the better ok and some car shampoo with a large yellow sponge, take your time nad you will find they cum off with ease.

Jet wash is good, but you still need the bucket and sponge after

I will be trying the wet cover version myself this weekend.

No matter what, there's no easy easy way other than a bit of elblow grease.

But if your all worried about this then your all going to slow.

NOTE!!!!!
when you get to Warp factor 9 you create this vacum like a worm hole in space, nothing other than Scoobies can travel and survive is this type of travel. It's always that last 5 miles when you slow down when all the fly's want a sexy session with the scooby, crap and **** all over the place. Reminds me of the X

C