ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Shell V-Power (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/335344-shell-v-power.html)

Mr Jiggerry Poke 11 June 2004 03:09 PM

Shell V-Power

Shell V-Power

Anyone got any info on this. It is available in the Republic of Ireland and mainland Europe but I haven’t seen it anywhere in Northern Ireland. Is it similar to Optimax, higher octane rating etc?

The Shell Website isn’t much help so far.

Thx

JP

simo 11 June 2004 04:45 PM

I think that it is 100 ron but don't quote me :D

simon

JohnRoly 11 June 2004 05:36 PM

Saw this advertised in N.Ireland while there recently, kind of got my hopes up after all the rumours of 100Ron Shell fule, but no sign of it over here - bugger!!!

Ice555 11 June 2004 06:26 PM

V-Power in Iceland is sold as 99+ Ron.

Halldór
Team 555

DocJock 11 June 2004 06:53 PM

German Vpower is badged as 100 RON and it seems to be good stuff.

My car is mapped for SUL + OB and I get less KL activity on neat Vpower.

Suresh 11 June 2004 10:14 PM

Dutch V-Power is 95 RON and therefore totally useless to me.

drjsd 12 June 2004 02:50 PM

Octane booster?

On the subject of high octane fuel - is there any benefit from using octane booster in with lower RON fuel? As opposed to the straight Shell Optimax I use now? Particularly as the price of fuel seems to be going through the roof thanks to the bloody OPEC cartel!

marcus.s 13 June 2004 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Jiggerry Poke
Shell V-Power

Anyone got any info on this. It is available in the Republic of Ireland and mainland Europe but I haven’t seen it anywhere in Northern Ireland. Is it similar to Optimax, higher octane rating etc?

The Shell Website isn’t much help so far.

Thx

JP

JP,

Unfortunately its only 95RON in Ireland. Wrote to them saying I felt they had missed an opportunity to bring the first proper high octane fuel to Ireland etc. but was told their market research indicated this is what Irish drivers wanted at the moment and that high octane fuel attracts a higher duty down here etc. We'll have to struggle on with the SUL i'm afraid.

Marcus

Mr Jiggerry Poke 17 June 2004 02:05 PM

Thanks Marcus,

Appreciated. I’ll just stick to the SUL Shell in the north then.

Ran some BP Ultimate at the weekend, certainly seemed to be an increase in go, but maybe I fooled myself as the car was running very nearly empty.

More Shell SUL it is.

nellie 17 June 2004 02:26 PM

isnt optimax the name for v-power in the uk?,just different octane ratings in different countries?

Wurzel 17 June 2004 02:58 PM

Does the search function not work or something thee is a V-Power thread on here nearly every week.

In Mainland Europe 100ron V-Power has replaced 99 ron Optimax.

Germany has 100 ron V-Power now our Optimax used to be 99 ron.

it is ok but if our car is mapped for 98 then you wil not see an advantage to it the car will not learn to use the higher octane fuel so there is no benefit to using it unless you get your car remaped.

In Ireland V-Power seems to vary between 95 - 98 ron.

marcus.s 17 June 2004 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Does the search function not work or something thee is a V-Power thread on here nearly every week.

In Mainland Europe 100ron V-Power has replaced 99 ron Optimax.

Germany has 100 ron V-Power now our Optimax used to be 99 ron.

it is ok but if our car is mapped for 98 then you wil not see an advantage to it the car will not learn to use the higher octane fuel so there is no benefit to using it unless you get your car remaped.

In Ireland V-Power seems to vary between 95 - 98 ron.

Nope, doesn't vary in Ireland. 95 RON and that's it.

STi-Frenchie 28 May 2005 02:13 PM

Shell V-Power 100 - believe the hype. It's fantastic!!! Just filled up with it and my comments are posted in the Stelvio Tour thread in International (here).

highlander68k 28 May 2005 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by drjsd
On the subject of high octane fuel - is there any benefit from using octane booster in with lower RON fuel? As opposed to the straight Shell Optimax I use now? Particularly as the price of fuel seems to be going through the roof thanks to the bloody OPEC cartel!

Optimax contains a number of 'beneficial' additives. So it does depend on what 95 you use.

Gez 28 May 2005 06:52 PM

Guys, this is a marketing ploy by Shell UK. Most of the countries on the continent get 100RON V-power but it looks like they are just re-branding optimax so we are more or less in line with the rest of Europe.

Gez

mgcvk 29 May 2005 09:03 AM

I was filling up with optimax last year in Aylesbury I think. The petrol delivery tanker bloke was delivering fuel to the station and saw the car and wandered over for a quick chat. He mentioned a V fuel trialling in Germany at 100 ron. I e-mailed Shell but they denied all knowledge!

Suresh 29 May 2005 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I was filling up with optimax last year in Aylesbury I think. The petrol delivery tanker bloke was delivering fuel to the station and saw the car and wandered over for a quick chat. He mentioned a V fuel trialling in Germany at 100 ron. I e-mailed Shell but they denied all knowledge!

You could ask them to take a look at their own website! (link for Shell V Power, Switzerland)

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?..._13042005.html

STi-Frenchie 29 May 2005 10:22 AM

AFAIK, V-Power 100 is available in Switzerland, Germany and Austria. It isn't available in France yet as far as I can tell from their website.

pbee 30 May 2005 10:38 AM

guys petol differs from country to country depending what refinery processes it. There isnt one big shell refinery delivering fuel to the whole world, you dont transport fuel that way it is to expensive and too ferking dangerous. You transport base and additives it is refined as locally as possible and delivered to the forecourt.

so saying vpower is just rebadged optimax is pants.

you need to check what "marketing name" is what ron rating as they will all sliughtly differ from country to country, they will quote a miniumum ron rating 98 99 100 ect, the product from the refinery will be higher than the minimum as the "ron" value depletes over time, hence why choosing a forecourt with a high turn over of fuel is beneficial.

anyone know what refineries prepare optimax in the uk, ive visited harpendon and it wasnt there.