ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   My company has banned English flags. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/334776-my-company-has-banned-english-flags.html)

Chip 09 June 2004 05:51 PM

My company has banned English flags.

Memo was sent out to all employees this morning stating that no English flags are to be displayed on any company vehicles or desks. Apparantely this is in case the flags cause distress to any ethnic minorities who may see the flag as a being rascist.

Is it me or this just another case of political correctness gone mad.

Chip.

Brendan Hughes 09 June 2004 05:55 PM

Ask them if they have also forwarded this to Buckingham Palace.

BTW, if a flag isn't a symbol of national identity, what is?

MarkCSC 09 June 2004 05:55 PM

Utter tripe!

http://www.crwflags.com/art/countries2/england.gif

edited to say their attitude is tripe not your post

Chip 09 June 2004 05:56 PM

I,m sure a few other large comps will follow suit as well.

chip.

SomeDude 09 June 2004 05:57 PM

As much as I object to "nationalism", yes, this is OTT.

Markus 09 June 2004 05:57 PM

no it's not just you, it is madness.

I bet if somone from an ethnic minority put a flag from thier country up and they were asked to remove it then all hell would break loose!

So what happens if someone puts a Welsh, Irish or Scottish flag on their desk/car? do they get bollocked? What about putting up a Union Jack? is it just the good ol English flag they hate?

To be frank, if some employee of a company feels there is some racial hatred going round when the flags go up then maybe they need to seek some professional help.

Jerome 09 June 2004 06:00 PM

You would be carted off to the loonie bin/jail if you tried banning national flag here. And Canada is a very diverse country.

How about English people being distressed at not being able to show their flag? I suppose that kind of discrimination is fine...

bloke 09 June 2004 06:03 PM

I'm pretty sympathetic to what you are all saying, but unfortunately of course the flag of St George has been hijacked by far right wing groups as a symbol, just as originally IIRC the swastika was a Greek symbol used by the Nazis and thus no longer acceptable.

Maybe we should vent our spleen more at the Neanderthals that have created this sad state of affairs?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 09 June 2004 06:07 PM

It might be a "company image" thing - maybe not construed by the powers that be as something suitable to be on company vehicles - as in "loutish" & "Sun mentality"

Audi-Boy 09 June 2004 06:08 PM

just as originally IIRC the swastika was a Greek symbol used by the Nazis and thus no longer acceptable.
AFAIR the swastika is totally different from the original symbol, the 'L' are leaning to the right instead of the left on the nazi sign.

Originally the 4 'L' facing the left meant, Love, Life, Luck and Light.

ANNNNND the BNP have the union Jack and not the SGC as their symbol.

I have regretted not voting for them now.

Markus 09 June 2004 06:09 PM

Jerome, you have hit the nail on the head. Ethnic Minorities can scream and wail about discrimintation, but as soon as we complain, oooh, we are all racists. Fecking double standards I can tell you.

I would love to see someone here say, for example, you're not allowed to have a Toronto Maple Leaf flag on your car, ooh, there would be hell to pay! It'd probably be some french-cannuck prick that suggested it :D

Petem95 09 June 2004 06:10 PM

unfortunately of course the flag of St George has been hijacked but far right wing groups as a symbol
Bollox has it, only if you listen to the pro-PC crew's viewpoint. Im going to be getting a flag for my car just to be anti-PC. Any minorities who get offended by it can either get used to it, or bugger off to another country.

foamy 09 June 2004 06:11 PM

I keep asking how the taxi drivers, who are displying the St George cross on their cars are racist, when Pakistan hasn't even qualified for the European cup :confused: go fig.... :confused:

Markus 09 June 2004 06:15 PM

what gets me is that some will display the english flag when it suits, and then at other times claim that it being displayed is an act of racism. Double standards!

Tiggs 09 June 2004 06:15 PM

"Memo was sent out to all employees this morning stating that no English flags are to be displayed on any company vehicles "

this makes sense....anone in a company car with a flag has just dragged that companys image to chav land.

this has nowt to do with the flag...its about what the flag has come to represent- at worst thugs and at best chavs.

gareth123 09 June 2004 06:17 PM

WTF? :(

I'm lost for words. You can't have an English flag because it might upset people visiting the country?

Markus 09 June 2004 06:19 PM

Tiggs - the thing about the memo is that it states the reason is not about company image, but is because it might cause undue distress and might be seen as racist.

Maybe the company does not or cannot say that it is for the reason you suggest, that it could give everyone the idea that the company supports thugs and chavs.

Hmm, does Burberry produce a flag? :D :D

Taff107 09 June 2004 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by gareth123
WTF? :(

I'm lost for words. You can't have an English flag because it might upset people visiting the country?

.......they upset me....

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...07/dragon1.gif

;)

Seriously though, it's a good indication of how bad this country is getting when you are punished for being proud of your nationality. :rolleyes:

Dracoro 09 June 2004 06:30 PM

Just complain back. State that you feel offended as people may think that you yourself are a complete knob because of the policies that your company keeps. This thing stinks of some WUSS of a manager up above who has no balls and is scared of being accused of not being 'sensitive' to minority needs. I mean, where exactly are all these minorities that are deemed to take offence by the display of the flag? Sounds like most of them are happy to see, and display, the flag themselves.

Your manager/company are part of the racist problem in this country and are feeding the illness that causes people to vote for tosspots such as the bnp and so forth.

Problem is, if the powers that be don't 'claim back' the flag before too long, then it WILL end up being a racist symbol like the swastika and suchlike.

ajm 09 June 2004 06:32 PM

Have they banned ALL countries' flags? If not then they are discriminating against the English! :mad:

Dracoro 09 June 2004 06:35 PM

Have they banned shaven heads yet?

gareth123 09 June 2004 06:42 PM

I'm just going to go tell some of my coworkers that I find the Stars And Stripes and the California flag flying outside the building offensive. I wonder how that's going to fly...?

Lord Jeffery Wode esq. 09 June 2004 07:04 PM

They tried to ban black biros at our place. Mind you, we had a small victory when they replaced black boards with white boards.

*Sonic* 09 June 2004 07:09 PM

If I heard correctly the Police were stopping motorists in Oldham, and giving them tickets, warnings etc, saying it was racist to display the SGC !!!

just shows you what a f**ked up world we live in now

catalunya199again 09 June 2004 07:15 PM

only in this spineless country does this sort of stuff happen i bet if you told the french,germans,dutch not to have flags from there cars you would get a big feck off pill.

speaking of the bnp i saw a campaign leaflet saying the would make st georges day a national holiday dam right who elses patron slayed a dragon on his own:D

foamy 09 June 2004 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by catalunya199again
only in this spineless country does this sort of stuff happen i bet if you told the french,germans,dutch not to have flags from there cars you would get a big feck off pill.

speaking of the bnp i saw a campaign leaflet saying the would make st georges day a national holiday dam right who elses patron slayed a dragon on his own:D

Next you'll be telling us the Spaniards are having a holiday to honour their war heroes :rolleyes::p

catalunya199again 09 June 2004 07:32 PM

Next you'll be telling us the Spaniards are having a holiday to honour their war heroes :rolleyes::p
spain would have little holidays if they relied on war heroes:p

47 NAT 09 June 2004 07:34 PM

What a complete and utter fecking joke :mad:

I'd send the memo to the local papers!

CEL 09 June 2004 07:44 PM

I would seriously be willing to rebel against this and if necessary lose my job if the company I worked for tried to ban English flags or anything else that ‘might’ offend the ethnic community. As someone said previously on the chavometer thread, they need reminding which bloody country they are in sometimes anyway.. :mad:

I’m sick to the back teeth with this utter bullsh!t country. Totally ridiculous :mad:

It’s time someone stood up against the politically correct goons that come out with this tosh :mad:

foamy 09 June 2004 08:05 PM

Think it's time to dig out my proof of Spanish residency... :D