ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   BBC - Posh Plumbers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/334724-bbc-posh-plumbers.html)

messiah 09 June 2004 02:40 PM

BBC - Posh Plumbers

Anyone watch this?

I must say something like that has crossed my mind - being chained to a desk all day gets a bit depressing in summer! :(

ajm 09 June 2004 02:46 PM

Yes watched it! Fair play to them for going and doing it.... I bet they had a bit put away in case they didn't like it though! It was amusing when the bloke had to pull the turd covered pager out of the back of the toilet and he was practically wretching. The plumber he was assigned too was just laughing and saying "right, time for lunch!" :D

TelBoy 09 June 2004 03:01 PM

He kept his vans almost as clean as i keep my car!! :eek: :)

messiah 09 June 2004 03:30 PM

the owner was a bit of a wide boy

flash suit with company tie, the plonker - he looked like a rep rather than the top man...

Ray_li 09 June 2004 03:34 PM

I thought the bird only did it for the money. not cuz she always wanted to be a plumber.

gsm1 09 June 2004 03:42 PM

I missed it, but loads of people are turning to plumbing for the money. I've plenty of plumbing and general building experience from my early years but have never done it for a trade. I tried to go on a plumbing course last year but the only ones open to the average Joe are booked up for the next 5 years. The only other courses are for apprentice plumbers working for established companies - so it's pretty much a closed shop.

Scooby96 09 June 2004 03:44 PM

Well I was in someones loft yesterday sorting someone out a new water tank - feck me it was hot up there. Give me an office over that any day of the week!

gsm1 09 June 2004 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby96
Well I was in someones loft yesterday sorting someone out a new water tank - feck me it was hot up there. Give me an office over that any day of the week!

The last job I did for someone was in a loft and it's certainly not glamourous. I probably wouldn't have minded but I underquoted for the job big time. They had such an old and corroded 28mm pipe running to the HW cylinder that you could see light through it. I thought I'd finished up nicely and turned the water back on. Next thing the kitchen was flooding because this cruddy old pipe had popped a hole with corrosion. Good fun!:(

Scooby96 09 June 2004 04:07 PM

Plus the fecking roof insulation - glass fibre shards in your arms itching for days....

urban 09 June 2004 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby96
Plus the fecking roof insulation - glass fibre shards in your arms itching for days....

Fcuk Me! - Thats it in a nutshell!

This is just the exact same reason why a mate of mine quit plumbing, his exact words to me after he quit we're -

"Climbing into the attic on a hot day with the b@stard'n fibre glass itching the **** out of you really was the deciding factor".

:D

Potential plumbers - Beware ;) :D

Shaun

Scuba 09 June 2004 04:44 PM

£50k-£90k wages!

Ray_li 09 June 2004 09:02 PM

£50k-£90k. is that just a very few select people or is that achievable?

Scooby96 09 June 2004 09:05 PM

My old man is in the $70-80k bracket and he only charges $24ph (sorry havent got a pound sign).

I've been doing a bit of work for him on $10ph and its very nice. If I can just qualify then I'll be whacking my rates right up

Muffleman 10 June 2004 12:02 AM

I dread to think what Pimlico Plumbers charge :eek:

Enough to pay that **** of an owner far too much, have serious property in London itself, pay it's engineers £50-90k etc etc.

Worrying thing was when they said that for every college course position, there's 60 applicants. It's like the IT industry all over again !!!

Program was good, but the owner just got right on my tats...oh well.

Matt

Buckrogers 10 June 2004 12:26 AM

He looked a bit of a jack the lad, but fair play to him. Clean vans is a good policy. Some of the "private plates" made me laugh!

Anyone remember the actual correct spelling of the company name?

andypugh2000 10 June 2004 10:11 AM

My first job was an apprentice plumber, I packed it in, trust me it is a sh1t job most of the time, earning potential is only really there if you are in west end / city

andy ;)