ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Help - Superglue on ma paint!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/330432-help-superglue-on-ma-paint.html)

bogie 24 May 2004 07:10 PM

Help - Superglue on ma paint!!!

Fook!!

Was doing a wee job in the front of the garage on Sat, superglue fell and splashed on floor.

Thought Scoob was OK but noticed tonight when putting the her in the garage that the super glue has splashed on my bonnet (3 places) and front bumper (2 places).

I am really cheesed off my STi8 is only 3weeks old and just clocked up 600miles.

Is there a way of getting the superglue off, i.e. will Swissol cleanser remove it?

Cheers

Bogie

StickyMicky 24 May 2004 07:12 PM

doubt it
super glue melts stuff together doesnt it, i suspect it will need paint work

andypugh2000 24 May 2004 07:14 PM

super glue remover gets it off, available at most hardware shops ;)

BigRed 24 May 2004 07:55 PM

Superglue de-bonding agent, same as said above, but be VERY careful when using it on your paintwork , watch for any signs of bubbling ETC also if it does remove it give the area a good wash after and a good polish.

Bandit127 24 May 2004 10:09 PM

Soapy water. It's what they use in hospital. Even dried on superglue will absorb water and de-glue, it's just a matter of time. Lots of it.

Plan an hour of keeping the blobs well wet (probably come off before then). Make the water warm and add a little bit of washing up liquid.

And keep em wet for an hour.

Won't hurt paint. Don't know if super glue remover does - it's your risk.

Jim

scooby-si 25 May 2004 06:20 AM

bogie where u from m8 i have some de bonding stuff m8 ,1 minute and its off :D

hawkeye 25 May 2004 09:22 AM

bogie this happend to me once i can help

1 get yourself a small dent puller

2 soapy water (very soapy)

3 carefully wet the area then put the dent puller (or similar) over the area

4 attach

the dent puller causes a seal around the area stopping it dry out quickly and sppeds up moistening the superglue

good luck

when removed polish and yr done

bogie 25 May 2004 10:16 AM

Cheers guys, I will try the soapy water first (sounds the safest).

I did remove a small bit with some P1200 wet / dry, being carefull not to damage the laquer then cleansed and polished.

Scooby-Si, I'm in Fife, but will try the soapy water 1st. Cheers for the offer though.

At the end of the day I shouldn't have been such a clumsy numbnut!!

Said to my wife that I will now need PPP to cheer me up, she basically said feck off!!

Bogie

alcazar 25 May 2004 03:01 PM

If the soapy water doesn't do it, (try covering with cling film, incidentally, if you don't have a dent puller), be VERY careful with glue debonder. I have some and it smells of nail varnish remover, which WILL strip paint.

Alcazar