ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Accord R vs Octavia VRS (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/328788-accord-r-vs-octavia-vrs.html)

mike16v 19 May 2004 08:10 AM

Accord R vs Octavia VRS

In the red corner... Accord Type R

and in the blue corner.... Octavia VRS

I'm stuck between these (cos I gave up trying to find a nice ITR) and am swaying towards the Accord but want to know which folk would buy incase I am missing something ;)

Cars are in the <£9k area...

Ta kindly!!

Mike

fivepint 19 May 2004 12:00 PM

Have'nt driven the Accord but can give my 2p's worth on why I went for the vRS. Understated looks, very driveable with plenty of torque low down, easily tuned to 230bhp ish, VAG bulid quality (panel gaps are perfect etc) and here in Ireland the vRS is relatively unknown so is an insurance bargain, anything v-tec send up red flags here ;):D

Different car to my previous impreza turbo but just as enjoyable to drive in a different way...

Cheers

AudiMan 19 May 2004 12:18 PM

Can't comment on the Skoda, but have driven several Accord's, good build quality, engine need to be worked to get the best from it (much like the ITR), lovely interior, and very good handling (one of the best FWD cars). only real downside is bit of a 'mature' image. But even that said I'd still have one over the Skoda.

Ian...

ianc 19 May 2004 12:19 PM

www.briskoda.net

I'd go for the octavia, but I'm biased, but only cos you can't get the Accord type R with 4wd.

Ian

Paulo P 19 May 2004 02:54 PM

I have driven both and although I like the revvy vtec engine I just prefer the octavia as a package.

My friend has just sold his civic type r because of the heavy fuel consumption because you have to rev them hard all the time and it went through oil like a massage parlour :eek:

The build quality on both cars is excellent but the octavia just has so much grip and the brakes are excellent for a standard car.

The only thing that would sway it is the interior. The Honda has very nice seats but the seats in the octavia are half leather which is great but the fabric part is white :eek: even cars with 10,000 miles on have stained seats :( I have been on track in an octavia a few times and found the seats too large for me and I was sliding between the bolsters :eek:

You are also more likely to be able to leave the octavia somewhere without it getting stolen or trashed in my opinion ;)

No idea about insurance :o

Also the skoda is going to more tuneable that the honda because they are pretty much tweaked up when they leave the factory. 230bhp is easily acheived from a skoda 1.8 with anywhere up to 450bhp available :eek:

mike16v 19 May 2004 03:09 PM

so, from waht I read here, it's the Octavia cos of the chipping ability... ? But that then makes it a £9500 car cos you need to add £500 for the chip. And only heard of 230bhp from Jabba custom maps with exhaust system, DP, cat etc... much more expensive. The normal off the shelf chips are around 215bhp & 225lb/ft...

Should have been clearer...

Out of the factory, standard cars against each other.

Seems like the Accord has it for smile factor and handling. Also for turning heads - I don't want to blend in too much :D and I have offstreet parking, and will soon have a garage :D

Mike

Paulo P 19 May 2004 03:16 PM

Haven't driven a standard Octavia :o

Marky-San 19 May 2004 03:29 PM

ATR I would go for.

Not that I'm biased, but they are superb!

mike16v 19 May 2004 03:32 PM

drove the ATR last week and going to drive an Octavia tonight after work...

ianc 19 May 2004 03:39 PM

My (150bhp from factory) 4x4 got 222bhp\231lbf from just a remap.

(oh and I don't have the annoying white seats :D)

mike16v 19 May 2004 05:37 PM

well, Octavia is out the window! Hated the handling of it! Accord is far sharper, and the revving is part of the smile factor of it!

That's settled then!

Cheers for advice

Mike

Ch!lledBudwei2er 19 May 2004 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mike16v
well, Octavia is out the window! Hated the handling of it! Accord is far sharper, and the revving is part of the smile factor of it!

That's settled then!

Cheers for advice

Mike

If you dont really want the family part of the ATR I would be patient and wait for the right ITR, as thats what I did and its worth the wait.
What specs are you looking for? Are you on the Honda Revs and ITR-dcs forums, as there seems to be a fair few lately up for sale, and a couple of them you wont find better.

day tripper 19 May 2004 10:31 PM

The octavia rs is an awesome car, the only downside is the fwd and its far too practical.

Go for the accord type R if you want to pull of the bad cop look.

mike16v 20 May 2004 10:35 AM

yeah, on honda revs forum.... and type r scotland too

Found one on Autotrader that I like, so just waiting to see when I can go and see/buy it. Surprisingly, it's not local to Aberdeen, but there never are any cars I fancy up here so yet another road trip is in order!! :D

paulJ 20 May 2004 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ch!lledBudwei2er
If you dont really want the family part of the ATR I would be patient and wait for the right ITR, as thats what I did and its worth the wait.
What specs are you looking for? Are you on the Honda Revs and ITR-dcs forums, as there seems to be a fair few lately up for sale, and a couple of them you wont find better.

Im looking ot an ITR but some poeple told me theyre noisy as hell and the security is crap...?!

Is this right mate...?

I dont mind the sound of a good engine tho..!

Ch!lledBudwei2er 20 May 2004 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by paulJ
Im looking ot an ITR but some poeple told me theyre noisy as hell and the security is crap...?!

Is this right mate...?

I dont mind the sound of a good engine tho..!

There noisy to compare with a normal car due to the lack of sound deadning, but Ive never once though that it's 'L-O-U-D' , but then again I always have the window down listening to the exhasut and the engine :p

Dont know why people would say that about the security, as there mostly fully cat1 alarms, and no better than worse than the next car, also people dont seem to target them like the scooby lads get. Even if someone didnt like the secuity it's just a couple hundred to get a good setup these days, and no reason not to buy such an amazing car!

kob999 20 May 2004 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by fivepint
Have'nt driven the Accord but can give my 2p's worth on why I went for the vRS. Understated looks, very driveable with plenty of torque low down, easily tuned to 230bhp ish, VAG bulid quality (panel gaps are perfect etc) and here in Ireland the vRS is relatively unknown so is an insurance bargain, anything v-tec send up red flags here ;):D

Different car to my previous impreza turbo but just as enjoyable to drive in a different way...

Cheers

Are you in Northern Ireland or the Republic. I am moving to Republic and isurance for impreza is a nightmare. If in the south what sort of insurance do you pay for Octavia

TaviaRS 20 May 2004 05:45 PM

Get the Accord ;)

fivepint 21 May 2004 10:12 AM

@Tav, lol protecting the brand again I see :D

@Kob, hi ya Im in the Republic, and yes iunsurance is a bleak... The Octavia vRS MY03 is costing me €1000 fully comp, full NCB, a Honda Accord would cost €3500!!! and my Impreza was costing €2500 and was due to go up >|

Check out www.123.ie for quotes... its a real racket here though so ask EVERYONE for a quote

Cheers

Aaquil 21 May 2004 10:28 AM

My mate had a ITR and i drove it a couple of times...top drive I don't know if I could live with it from day to day. Not sure if the Accord is more refined. I have heard some good stuff about Octavia's. Are you gonna tune them because you can get the handling sorted on the Octavia.

Aaquil.