ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Top gear - Gone to the dogs? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/328159-top-gear-gone-to-the-dogs.html)

Audi-Boy 16 May 2004 09:06 PM

Top gear - Gone to the dogs?

Someone mentioned it last week and I didn't agree - untill tonight.

Looks like they have ran out of ideas doesn't it?

They have reported on the Mechlaren (sp) SLK before FFS.

Pink thunder bird cars, nun in a monster truck and **** 'bling' cars.:rolleyes:

Anyone else agree?

CKY2K 16 May 2004 09:11 PM

It was ok but what was all that crap with hammond being hyponised. It wasted about 10 minites of the show. Do they think that we would really belive it?

dsmith 16 May 2004 09:12 PM

Pretty light hearted entertainment for a Sunday evening - which is all its supposed to be. Some people seem to think every episode should be some sort of life changing experience :rolleyes:

Deano

Chris L 16 May 2004 09:13 PM

Said it before - what would you rather have - 5th Gear for an hour?

CKY2K - you've never seen Paul McKenna live have you?? ;)

Chris

ajm 16 May 2004 09:13 PM

Mechlaren (sp) SLK
*ahem*

McLaren SLR

andypugh2000 16 May 2004 09:14 PM

I missed it chaos so dont have an opinion :D

CKY2K 16 May 2004 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L
Said it before - what would you rather have - 5th Gear for an hour?

CKY2K - you've never seen Paul McKenna live have you?? ;)

Chris

Nope, why have you?

mo,s scoobymonster 16 May 2004 09:17 PM

yes i know what was that sh1t about the miners houses and that alfa.it really has gone down the pan except for the mercedes

Audi-Boy 16 May 2004 09:18 PM

McLaren SLR
Yep really useful reporting on a car thats out of 90% of normal top gear viewers.:rolleyes:
Not saying I don't like it.

midget1500 16 May 2004 09:22 PM

90%? 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% :)

yeah, show is *ALL* about the presenters and feck all about the cars. crap :( yet i still watch it?!? guess like watching F1 - i always hope it will get better...

ajm 16 May 2004 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Audi-Boy
Yep really useful reporting on a car thats out of 90% of normal top gear viewers.:rolleyes:
Not saying I don't like it.

Do you mean out of reach of 90% of top gear viewers? If so thats the point. What is the point in reviewing cars that anyone can walk into a dealer and test drive? The nearest we are going to get to a car like that is by watching topgear!

Wheelman 16 May 2004 10:51 PM

I thought last weeks was great but tonight was very patchy. I will allow it a few more crap weeks before I switch off!

dpb 16 May 2004 11:04 PM

;) shows based around 'what 'is face' im fraid ...no women :(

evojkp 17 May 2004 01:32 AM

Got to agree, total nonsense of a show. All about 'look at me' Interviewing the so-called celebs..WTF!! Dross, total dross and 5th Gear aint much better. But like everyone else I'll continue to watch, either that or its 'Maxi-Test' on Motors-tv. At least that shows some cars.

Chris L 17 May 2004 08:18 AM

CKY2K - yes I have - hence the comment :rolleyes:

I've seen the guy work on people who were fairly close to me - not stooges or plants. He is a very strange guy and very clever. Hammond has either missed his ideal vocation as an outstanding actor (I think not), or McKenna had him under hypnosis (which is not impossible and there are plenty of people who can do it).

Chris

pbee 17 May 2004 08:25 AM

i will 2nd the mckenna comment he did my dad a couple of years back, he was not approached or talked to in anyway, just asked if he would mind participating during the show.

He still cant remember a thing about the chicken :).

I think you lot are missing the point about top gear, its only 10% car show the rest is for laughs, wouldnt suprise me if they start bringing more guests in, if you dont like it dont watch it.

in my view its fantastic, but i dont watch it for a car show, i buy magazines or watch M&M or motors TV for that.

Iwan 17 May 2004 08:30 AM

I think it's taken a big step downhill this year, and i hate to say it I almost prefer 5th Gear now. At least 5th Gear attempt to do road tests and the odd feature on Motorsports (how to get into rallying/hillclimbing/trackdays etc).

I reckon about half of last night show was padded out with $hite, i mean FFS who cares about the 'Thunderbirds car' or a nun in a monster truck??

Paul McKenna is best left to his usual ITV chav type shows, who are we going to get next week, Trisha? Seems to me they're going for the lowest common denominator in terms of viewers, they'd be better off moving to ITV, C4 or even, Sky1.

Going downhill rapidly IMO. :(

Iwan

f1 17 May 2004 08:30 AM

agree with pbee. If it's not your cuppa, turn over and watch HeartBeat or some other drivel on the other side. TopGear is the only T.V I watch all week. To me it's about the light hearted side and speaking their minds. I think this series is off to a cracking start so far. All IMHO of course, and if we all thought the same we'd all be watching some boring rubbish on the otherside. They dare to be different and it works, well for me at least !! :D

StickyMicky 17 May 2004 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by CKY2K
Do they think that we would really belive it?

why not?
dont you belive in hypnotisum?

what they did with hammond was LMFAO imo

Chris L 17 May 2004 08:48 AM

Exactly - it's not just about testing the latest people carrier. When Clarkson first joined Top Gear - he changed the format totally. At that time, Top Gear was the only dedicated car programme on TV and pretty boring it was too.

He's done the same thing again with 'new' Top Gear. It was the first motoring programme to go beyond the normal half hour slot and they've used the extra time to change the format again. Not everything they do is successful, but at least they try to do something different.

The new format has been very successful. If it ain't broke....

Chris

corradoboy 17 May 2004 08:51 AM

Iwan, what a great article you almost suggested. Fastest Chav around the track :D They could bring their own FUK'd up chavmobiles. Just imagine how funny it would be to see a 1.0l Saxo with 400kg of ICE and 250kg of bodykit limping its way around on 19's scraping the ground before exploding on Gambon corner. They'd have to dig a hole to get the lap times in the right place on the board. And let them re-arrange the cool wall ;) Special guest could be Trisha and Burberry caps are a condition of entry :D

Apparition 17 May 2004 10:02 AM

Well I thought it was one of the best Top Gears in a long while. Who wants a whole hour of blokes slobbering over torq, break horse power et al ? It was a varied and entertaining show. Some of us did NOT see the McLaren the first time round so even that was good viewing. How boring if we all liked the smae things eh ?

ozzy 17 May 2004 10:09 AM

It's not exactly cutting-edge television, but I don't expect that from any motoring programme. At the end of the day, cars are pretty anal once you get past all the tyre screetching, tyre smoke, wheel spins, handbrakes turns, etc..

Thank fook they don't go on about cars like the new Astra. I mean how boring is that going to be. At the end of the day it's a car show run by middle-aged men, so it's hardly going to be that appealing to a younger audience.

Still watch it myself just to see them hammering some new exotic car around their track though :)

Stefan

unclebuck 17 May 2004 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chris L
Exactly - it's not just about testing the latest people carrier. When Clarkson first joined Top Gear - he changed the format totally. At that time, Top Gear was the only dedicated car programme on TV and pretty boring it was too.

Exactly - it was dire before. It's an hour of pure entertainment based around the subject of cars.

If you don't like the format, don't watch it. Simple.

UB:)

Franx 17 May 2004 10:36 AM

Exactly. I agree. If you don't like it, bloody turn it off - don't come on here complaining every week about how you don't like it:(
Anyway, as someone said, how boring would it be if they just had 'normal' cars on it. They need 'cool' stuff, like the ones they had on last night - and very good it was too:)

If you don't like it, tell us all how it should be instead, as I'd be interested to know.

Chris.