ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Who has used Octane Booster on their UK car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/327431-who-has-used-octane-booster-on-their-uk-car.html)

Neilo 13 May 2004 08:52 PM

Who has used Octane Booster on their UK car?

If so, what did you think? did anything odd happen? strange noises? Did it work??

Cheers,
Neil.

Merv 13 May 2004 09:30 PM

I run MY99 UK on sul + booster which takes it upto 99 RON, it makes the car run alot smoother especially at slow speeds,after 3 or 4 weeks at the end of a tank the octane has dropped you can tell the difference.The car is modded and running 300 BHP.

Neilo 13 May 2004 09:35 PM

Thats cool, the whole reason im asking is that i have just put some booster in with optimax and when the car was reved past about 4500, there was a weird noise, kinda sounded like a crackling....im not sure what det sounds like but i hope it wasnt that! (wouldnt have thought so with the higher octane)

When i got home i figured out that i had probably put a bit too much booster in? could this cause a problem? i put about 250ml in, and about 1/4 tank or optimax.

When i stopped, and then restarted the engine the noise stopped...its an 03 by the way.

any ideas?

Neil.

wanted 13 May 2004 09:41 PM

I run booster in mine all the time and have never had any strange noises. I wouldn't have thought the noise would be to do with the booster

Neilo 13 May 2004 10:26 PM

hmm yeah, like i said, i stopped the engine, then restarted it and the noise wasnt there on higher revs anymore, i took it to 6k and nothing.

haybe it was all in my heeed.

13 May 2004 10:30 PM

I got a few greens and an orange on the knocklink overtaking cars on the A69 so have decided to try a little Octane booster.

NF at 1ml per litre went in today :) . The car was mapped on Optimax by Bob Rawle but I like to spend as little time as posible on the opposite lane due to the death rate on Cumbrian roads so It's like Mad Max for me !!

Midlife.....

Bugeye with TD05, injectors, pump, Ported headers, decat etc on 300 BHP 'ish

Neilo 13 May 2004 10:34 PM

Midlife, so are you saying that your car was mapped on optimax but your knocklink still lit up a few times?

Is yours an import bugeye?

13 May 2004 11:05 PM

Neilo

Not a JDM but a car from the netherlands !! I had my car mapped by Bob for Optimax with Det cans and he reported no det and advised me that the Knocklink sensitivity was set too high. I have total faith in Bob !!

On a couple of trips around the Cumbria area I have Overtaken cars in low gear at high revs to make sure I get past. There was a fatal about a mile away from me last week and the death toll scares the wifey !!

At high revs just below the rev limiter the car gets a bit bogged down and the knocklink goes off. Bob safely maps the car for driving and not for overtaking an ASDA Truck !!

I don't *really* need an Octane booster it's just insurance :)

Midlife...

Neilo 13 May 2004 11:14 PM

i gotcha, damn those asda lorries....too damn long! :)

Note to self.....buy booster if overtaking supermarket lorries ;)

13 May 2004 11:18 PM

Neilo..LOL

Note to self... buy from Roger Clark Motorsport who supply next day to make sure ASDA Lorries can be beaten in the end !! spoken in a Blackadder III type voice

Shaun....

Neilo 13 May 2004 11:24 PM

ahh Blackadder, class.

They dont make em like they used to eh?

HYP1C 14 May 2004 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Neilo
ahh Blackadder, class.

They dont make em like they used to eh?

Your not wrong there Bob, funny name for a girl isn't it.
Well I'd rather be a quack than a ducky ,good day.
Cheers
Gary
Ps I use Millers Octane boost occasionally in my UK 22B. Great stuff.

DEKA 14 May 2004 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Merv]after 3 or 4 weeks at the end of a tank the octane has dropped you can tell the difference.QUOTE]
A tank full lasts 3-4 weeks:confused:
Is your car just for weekend use?

Matt Churchill 14 May 2004 05:32 PM

Always ran it in my UK99, and still do in my Evo. In my experience, just helps the engine run smoother with far less chance of any detting.

16vmarc 14 May 2004 05:34 PM

I run mine on Millers when im dragging. Not had any side effects from it.

S.B. 14 May 2004 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
I run mine on Millers when im dragging. Not had any side effects from it.

Thats because its piss ;)

16vmarc 14 May 2004 05:37 PM

Cheap piss though :p

r1257 14 May 2004 05:55 PM

question from someone just about to enter into the world of Subaru(a new 04 WRX.)

I am putting a ppp on my car - do I need to use an octane booster?. is this common practice, or just for those who spoil there toys?

Neilo 14 May 2004 07:09 PM

Its not common practice for UK cars i dont think no, this is the first time ive ever used it myself and i dont have the PPP, but having it doesnt mean you have to use it no. Optimax will more than suffice, im just testing ways that i can get a slight edge on a certain person in 1/4 miles....;)

Spooks 14 May 2004 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Neilo
If so, what did you think? did anything odd happen? strange noises? Did it work??

Cheers,
Neil.

Used 1ml of NF per litre in my decatted MY01 and only noises I get are pops and bangs with it on overrun, which is nice :D.
NOt used it for long , only the past 4-5 tanks and only as a precaution since I decatted ( paranoia, great innit...not exactly sure what I was trying to protect against as if it runs lean a higher octane wont really help :rolleyes: )
Certainly felt like it had more oomph but it could have been the ole placibo effect, Ive done sommit so it must be better
Anyhoo hope this helps
Spooks

Merv 14 May 2004 09:17 PM

Quote:DEKA
A tank full lasts 3-4 weeks
Is your car just for weekend use?

Deka,can't get as much in the scoob as I can in a VW Transporter,so yes,it's just a weekend toy.

Neilo 14 May 2004 10:08 PM

Maybe it was overrun then that i heard.....it was a kind of popping noise but only on full throttle.....oh well, its stopped now :) and is running rather well :D

Neilo 15 May 2004 05:14 PM

I can confirm that octane booster works a treat :D i just used it on the RR and power engineering and got 252bhp and 251lb ft with just a backbox and filter, and the road seemed to be reading down for quite a lot of people....so go figure :D

Neil.