ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Chrysler PT Cruiser - Comments? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/327196-chrysler-pt-cruiser-comments.html)

vulnax999 12 May 2004 09:33 PM

Chrysler PT Cruiser - Comments?

Hi

Any one had / got a Chrysler PT Cruiser ( preferably the Limited version ) in manual?

Looking to change the car ( no NOT for the Scooby! ) and the PT was favoured!

Any good / bad comments on reliability, costs to run, etc.?

Thanks

Neil

workshy_fopp 12 May 2004 10:41 PM

My g/f's mum had a new Limited one. Paid 17k for it and had to give it away for £9k at 4,000miles and 18 months old. Just couldn't sell it, nobody was interested. I think Chrysler knocked off 2-3 grand from list, a bit like the bugeye scoob fiasco, which did it no favours. It's yesterdays style car, like the Beetle. I can't think of a single reason to get one. It's cosmetically and mechanically dated. Almost anything would be better. They replaced it with an SL320 :D - well the 500 was my suggestion, but still............

Flat 4x4 13 May 2004 05:55 PM

I have a new(ish) 2.2CRD as a 2nd/3rd family car.

Has the Merc engine from the C and E class only ECU de-tuned, and a lot less insulated (ie noisy). Averages about 37mpg with hard'ish urban and steady motorway driving, best 43mpg, worst 32.

Rolls a lot, big turning circle, a bit clunky to drive.
Solidly built, well equipped with heated leather/suede seats

You'd buy it for the looks (love or loathe) rather than 'practical' reasons against other small MPV's.

gareth123 13 May 2004 06:26 PM

No. No. No. No. No. It's a freaking Dodge Neon in an ugly frock. Neons are utterly ****e cars that fall apart.

Christ no.

(I advise against, BTW).

PG 13 May 2004 06:36 PM

My old man is on his second one
Dont think much of it myself but he thinks they're grand :rolleyes:
They are well spec'd for the money and the merc engine is a good 'un
BUT the residuals are horrid !!! Dont buy new.

Tractor 13 May 2004 09:17 PM

Driven one of these a lot in Canada.

Short summary - spacious, look, um 'different', crap to drive.

Not very helpful I'm sure ;)

Gus M 14 May 2004 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by gareth123
No. No. No. No. No. It's a freaking Dodge Neon in an ugly frock. Neons are utterly ****e cars that fall apart.

Christ no.

(I advise against, BTW).

So, can we take it Gareth, that you are not a fan of the Cruiser?:)

gregjd 14 May 2004 10:07 AM

Looks like something the Munsters would drive IMHO! We have some friends who really want want one though.. Each to their own and all that. Residuals and build quality would put me off. Get a Skoda Octavia estate instead (also bad residuals I know, but at least they are better built and a decent drive)..

PG 14 May 2004 09:43 PM

build quality is not bad at all mate.

A tractor hit my mother one night (hence my old man being on his second ;) ) and the car held up VERY well indeed !
There are no rattles what so ever ...........still a pig tho :D

Harry_Boy 15 May 2004 12:14 AM

Gotta be honest, I quite like these things. I had one as a courtesy car for three days (and nights, as they say!), when our Seat was in for some work (Multi-franchise dealer).

'Twas a 2 litre petrol Limited Auto. Not that good to drive really, but actually quite decent to 'loaf' about in.... Very solid too!!

Slow, a bit noisy and rolly. But it was well put together, very well 'specced and quite engaging in a kinda honest Uncle-Sam sort of Transatlantic way......

If you not gonna hoon around bends a la Scoob, then it makes a decent second school run sorta car. If you're buying new, watch for freefall depreciation. But secondhand, they're not a bad buy.

Actually thought about one myself to complement the WRX.

Flat 4x4 15 May 2004 03:15 PM

Taking everything into account after 3000m with ours, the only thing that isn't up to scratch is the amount of bodyroll. As mentioned above, its a good loafer.