ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Anyone know anything about 300ZX's (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/326510-anyone-know-anything-about-300zxs.html)

CooperS 10 May 2004 03:51 PM

Anyone know anything about 300ZX's

Hi all,

Was thinking about buying a decent 300ZX for a bit of a weekend car, I really like the styling and the V6 twin turbo sounds awesome, anyone had any experiences of them good or bad?

Cheers
Andy

XT 10 May 2004 05:13 PM

Unreliable.....you'd be better off buying an MR2 Turbo or a 200SX.

Lord_Humongus 10 May 2004 06:26 PM

Unreliable?

Japanese Performance magazine had a buying guide on them a year or so ago and said it was actually quite a reliable car.

turboman786 10 May 2004 08:36 PM

As with anything Japanese, provided its been looked after it'll run forever....

Cosworth427 11 May 2004 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CooperS
Hi all,

Was thinking about buying a decent 300ZX for a bit of a weekend car, I really like the styling and the V6 twin turbo sounds awesome, anyone had any experiences of them good or bad?

Cheers
Andy

They're just harder to work on than a inline-6 Supra, but they're pretty much reliable as any high performance Japanese car. They cost no more to modify than you would with a MKIV Supra, and it makes similar level of power. Join www.twinturbo.net for more infomation. There's also a popular UK based forum but I don't remember the address to it. Try searching in yahoo.

XT 11 May 2004 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lord_Humongus
Unreliable?

Japanese Performance magazine had a buying guide on them a year or so ago and said it was actually quite a reliable car.

Well, I used to own one.... oh and tell Jap performance to have a look in the Technical Section of the UK forum.....

JayPSC 11 May 2004 02:07 PM

Nah they just as reliable as any 12 year old car, as long as you get a good one you should be fine. If you do pick a bad one though you're pretty much ****ed as the engine is a completed ******* to work on

Mr Gee 11 May 2004 07:53 PM

Had one for 5 years. - Best car I ever owned.......Its one of the better Jap cars which are put together solidly. Mechanically fine, but MUST have FSH. Had mine upto 500 BHP and was in this state of tune for 3 years ...reliably !!
If you need technical info, just pm me.

Mr Gee

CooperS 12 May 2004 09:45 AM

Thanks for your replies guys, gonna start having a proper look around i think, seen one in Autotrader for £4500 with 52000 on the clock...

I may be in touch Mr Gee, thanks for the offer.

Cheers
Andy

CC 12 May 2004 10:44 AM

just to add i imported one from japan, a 1990 twin turbo manual, silver, leather, ac etc, 53k, good overall condition (not mint) but totally reliable.

fast rare and looked well with 17" split rims. i posted pics of it on here.

i paid £850 for the car in japan !!! total with shipping/taxes/mot/reg was around £2k (i put a private plate on it). sold it for £3650 to buy a scoob.

as good as the scoob is i wish i'd kept the TT cos i would have never lost money on it.

CooperS 12 May 2004 01:14 PM

Hi Cc,

Where did you import from?

Andy

RichS 12 May 2004 03:36 PM

UK Site:

http://www.300zx.co.uk/

You may need to register to use it...

:)

Cosworth427 13 May 2004 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by XT
Well, I used to own one.... oh and tell Jap performance to have a look in the Technical Section of the UK forum.....

And look at how many members in mkiiisupra.net ask for help for their messed up MKIII Supras. It doesn't mean they are unreliable in general. 12+ year old cars tend to be owned by people who have no clue about cars.

mattsan 13 May 2004 03:44 PM

Same brake pads as a MY99 scooby!!

JayPSC 13 May 2004 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mattsan
Same brake pads as a MY99 scooby!!

That'll be why everyone puts GTR brakes on then :p

The stock brakes are KAK at the best of times, completly unsuited for such a heavy car, you deffo need to get some R33/34 discs/calipers on there if you can.

Jay