ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   S-Video black n white (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/326302-s-video-black-n-white.html)

Fig 09 May 2004 09:43 PM

S-Video black n white

Finally got around to getting a Hauppage WinTV PVR350, so that I can transfer my VCRs to DVD.

The VCR is connected to the PVR using a SCART > S-Video lead and I can only get black and white pictures. I know the problem is not on the VCR heads or the tape as I get colour If I connect using an RF lead, but I'd prefer to use the S-Video input to get better quality.

Any clues on where to look? I suppose one thing to try is to swap the VCR with another, but I haven't got another VCR readily to hand, so want to eliminate other possibilities first.

TIA

greasemonkey 09 May 2004 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fig
Finally got around to getting a Hauppage WinTV PVR350, so that I can transfer my VCRs to DVD.

The VCR is connected to the PVR using a SCART > S-Video lead and I can only get black and white pictures.

Silly question maybe, but you are using an S-VHS VCR, aren't you?

Fig 09 May 2004 10:05 PM

*cough*

No idea. Didn't know there was a difference.
How do I check that?

Thinking about it, I doubt it will be, as its donkeys years old.

IWatkins 09 May 2004 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Silly question maybe, but you are using an S-VHS VCR, aren't you?

IIRC, SVideo and S-VHS are unrelated.

MDBinaWagon 10 May 2004 12:07 AM

True, but if it's not an S-VHS machine, there'd be no benefit in fitting any S-Video output.

Martin.

greasemonkey 10 May 2004 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fig
*cough*

No idea. Didn't know there was a difference.
How do I check that?

Erm, this is one of those deals where if you don't know that it is, it probably isn't.

Thinking about it, I doubt it will be, as its donkeys years old.
That doesn't necessarily mean it ain't, but if it was, it'd have the Super VHS logo on the front, and you'd have had to buy special S-VHS blank cassettes to take advantage of it.

Originally Posted by IWatkins
IIRC, SVideo and S-VHS are unrelated.

You remember incorrectly, they're almost directly related. Super VHS gains its superior picture quality by keeping the luminance (brightness) and chrominance (colour) portions of the picture separate, and by increasing the bandwidth at which the luminance portion is stored on the tape itself. S-Video connections were invented (in the consumer space) alongside the S-VHS format itself because they keep luma and chroma separate through the connection chain.

Super VHS and Hi-8 decks will always have S-Video capable connections (either via SCART or S-Vid mini-DIN connectors), regular VHS decks (with very few exceptions) don't.

Originally Posted by Fig
but I'd prefer to use the S-Video input to get better quality.

You can only use S-Video connections if your VCR actually outputs S-Video, and the only ones that do that are, as stated above, S-VHS, Hi-8 and some digital VCR's. If you have a regular VHS deck, you will need to use composite video to connect to the PVR.

Any clues on where to look?
Look for a Super VHS logo on the front of your VCR, and if you don't find one, look for a SCART to composite video cable.

Fig 10 May 2004 08:26 AM

Thanks for all of that. At work now so cannot check, but AFAIR it uses standard VHS tapes, and it definitely has not got S-Video connector on the VCR which is why I bought SCART > S-Video/2 x Phono connector.

Looks like another visit to Maplin :(

Thanks all, will update after trying composite video.

dsmith 10 May 2004 10:24 AM

B&W picture is the classic sign of a std composite picture being fed to something expecting S-Video. (the composite signal is on the same scart pin as one of the S-Vid signals)

Deano

IWatkins 10 May 2004 11:34 AM

GM,

Apologies, I stand corrected :)

Cheers

Ian

Jye 10 May 2004 12:24 PM

Fig this is a common problem with the standard PVR s-video cable. I bought a PVR 350 a few weeks ago and had the exact same problem. After a bit of research on the net I put it down to the standard crappy s-video lead, bought a new one from Curry's and hey presto a colour picture again :)

The PVR 350 does what it says on the tin and I'm presently using the cards s-video in to record movies off my satellite system in perfect quality. It also works very well as a PVR with Snapstreams Beyond TV software which even supports the PVR's remote control :)

http://www.snapstream.com/Products/Products_PVS3.asp

Fig 10 May 2004 12:44 PM

Jye,

I bought the S-Video cable from Maplin at the weekend quite an expensive one at that(wasn't supplied with the unit (got the USB2 version as no spare PCI slots left)). I'm off to Maplin again at lunchtime and will get a scart plug with s-video and composite connectors. If I get colour on S-video with this one, I'll take the original one back, if not I can use composite.

Fig 10 May 2004 12:47 PM

Can only get a handful of programs on it, as I'm on NTL cable and feeding the signal in before the NTL box.

Jye 10 May 2004 01:08 PM

GL anyway Fig :)

greasemonkey 10 May 2004 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
Fig this is a common problem with the standard PVR s-video cable. I bought a PVR 350 a few weeks ago and had the exact same problem. The PVR 350 does what it says on the tin and I'm presently using the cards s-video in to record movies off my satellite system in perfect quality.

Different kettle of fish altogether unfortunately. Your sat box outputs S-Video; Fig's VCR doesn't, and so the next best solution available to him is composite video.
No worries IW! :)

Jye 10 May 2004 06:24 PM

Yeah I should have read the post a bit more closely, my VCR though does have s-video out though, thats prob why :D

Fig 10 May 2004 10:05 PM

Composite video works OK,so will have to use that instead.

Thanks all :)

greasemonkey 10 May 2004 10:09 PM

No worries Fig, glad you got it working in the end :)