ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Excessively 'raspy' exhaust question (ScoobySport/Janspeed) (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/326212-excessively-raspy-exhaust-question-scoobysport-janspeed.html)

Fatman 09 May 2004 04:01 PM

Excessively 'raspy' exhaust question (ScoobySport/Janspeed)

I've got a full ScoobySport decat exhaust (Janspeed-made backbox), and in the last couple of months it's started sounding too 'raspy'. If I were to guess the source of the noise, I'd say it was something loose in the backbox. Does this ever happen?

garethbrunt 09 May 2004 05:40 PM

sounds to me like the baffles have come loose in the back box. Can you gat the back box to rattle if you tap/shake it on its mounts?

Gareth.

Fatman 09 May 2004 05:48 PM

No, it doesn't make an obvious rattling sound if it's shaken on it's mounts. I don't know what the internals of these backboxes are like. I imagine, though, that a simple shake of the 'box wouldn't necessarily show up any loose internals. Perhaps I ought to take it along to Janspeed and see if they'll take a look...?

garethbrunt 09 May 2004 05:52 PM

A shake would usually show it up, although it could be the gas is just catching it enough to make it rasp....as you say the best bet is to let them fix it.

Gareth.

Fatman 09 May 2004 06:03 PM

...one reason I suggest it may not 'find' the rattle is that the raspy sound seems throttle sensitive. On a light throttle, but at high revs it may not sound. However, at lower revs but more throttle, the 'rasp' may be provoked into sounding. <smart-ar$e mode=ON>That, and I studied physics so have a notion of harmonics<smart-ar$e mode=OFF> :D I'll see what Janspeed have to say. :)

Jolly Green Monster 10 May 2004 11:29 AM

check the joints have not worked loose or blown the gasket...

JGM

Pavlo 10 May 2004 12:25 PM

Perhaps whatever rodent that has been resident in your exhaust has been blown out recently? I had a similar problem with a feline...

Paul

Fatman 10 May 2004 12:40 PM

Damn... how big is that backbox if you can fit a cat in it?

JGM: which gasget?

Pavlo 10 May 2004 01:50 PM

not all cats have fur!

Jolly Green Monster 10 May 2004 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fatman
Damn... how big is that backbox if you can fit a cat in it?

JGM: which gasget?

Dartford tunnel..

All gaskets..

there is one between backbox and centre which periodically needs tightenning on my car.. there is then one between centre and downpipe.. downpipe to turbo.. turbo to uppipe, uppipe to headers, headers to link pipe, link pipe to headers and headers to heads both sides.

Most likely the backbox to centre though.

JGM

Jolly Green Monster 10 May 2004 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pavlo
not all cats have fur!

especially not once they have been blown out the exhaust... lol

Fatman 10 May 2004 02:04 PM

Actually I've had to tighten the centre/downpipe join before, so you may well be right there. I'll check the bolts. :)

I'll keep an eye out for bits of singed fur, too.

RON 10 May 2004 10:48 PM

Mine started making a strange noise tonight on the way home from work, it normally does it after it's been ragged, it sounds like mine's a heatshield that's rattling when excessively hot, it does it more when you lift off, but it goes away once it's been sat for a while and cooled off.