ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How long for gatso fine to come through (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/325148-how-long-for-gatso-fine-to-come-through.html)

real_welshboy 05 May 2004 04:25 PM

How long for gatso fine to come through

I was snapped by a gatso at 11.15pm on 23/4/04 how long does it usually take for the fine to come through, just wondering if I got off with it as I havent yet heard anything

donutman 05 May 2004 04:57 PM

they have two weeks to send it to you (and a couple of days for post even more so with the bank holiday) as long as it is not a company car. if it is they contact the company with 14 days and then 6 months (i think to trace you)

salsa-king 05 May 2004 05:00 PM

i thought you had upto 1yr to wait with all the back log of fines going out.

£350 for a Origin B2 from www.alpha-telecom.co.uk well worth it. Ask for Jason

tmo 05 May 2004 05:01 PM

My laser ticket came in 6 days and that included a bankholiday

Graz 05 May 2004 05:33 PM

They have 14 days to notify you otherwise it's null and void :)

If you do get notification and its not sent recorded delivery then you can deny ever receiving it ;)

bits'n'pieces 05 May 2004 06:31 PM

so how do you get away with this 14 day thing ?? Any links etc would be helpful, got one from last friday 90 in a 70, also date of offence was 23/3/04 and letter recieved 30th April 2004..

Paul.

wheelie_sti 05 May 2004 07:27 PM

NEW CELLPHONE SERVICE ALERTS DRIVERS OF SPEED TRAPS

Guys,

Friend of mine gave me this link and indicated it might be handy in the constant fight against the camera's:

http://www.tuftufclub.com/english/

On there is info relating to SMS messaging of speed traps setup in your designated areas. Have a butchers, LMFAO at the way the dutch handle all this camera boll*x. :D

Sweet

wheelie_sti ;)

Chris L 05 May 2004 09:16 PM

Paul - have a look at UK Speedtraps and Speed Trap Bible.

Chris

VAL113R 05 May 2004 09:17 PM

can someone answer this then ?

my mate got a speeding letter through but it wasnt him who was driving.

he filled in the details of the person driving and that person received the letter asking if it was them

they said it was and sent the letter away but have not heard anything back yet.

how long have they got before it cant legally be persued ?

thanks

hedgehog 05 May 2004 10:55 PM

First of all: the police have 14 days to issue a notice of intended prosecution to the registered keeper of the vehicle. If it is a company car then, assuming they issue an NIP to the company, they can track you down at their leisure after that.

The NIP need not arrive with you within the 14 days. An allowance is made for the time taken in the post. It should, however, be processed within the 14 days so check the dates on the documents. Being realistic no one ever gets off on the 14 day rule any more.

You can not deny that you never received the NIP. The law is an ass and states that if the police have recorded that they posted it then it is deemed to have been served. Do not lie, perjury is a much more serious offence than speeding. If necessary they will present a police officer in court to assert that he processed your NIP and that it was posted at X time on X date. Your costs will, in part, involve you paying his wages for the day in court.

The NIP need not be sent registered post, though it must be sent at least 1st class. Keep the envelope, if it's second class you have an out but will have to go to court. Are you aware that the magistrates courts are part of the camera partnership and so actually benefit financially from the fines? No vested interests there then and you are sure to get a fair trial.

In the case of the final question there is some debate as to exactly how long the police have to lay papers, and remeber this may not be the same thing as having him in a court. The general view is that they have 6 months plus 28 days from the dispatch of the NIP. So, basically they have 7 months.

There are a very many groups fighting this and you should join up to assist the fight. The police can see that it's turning people against them and it could become an issue at the next election. Fight them all the way.