ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   SPA gauge back light problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/323742-spa-gauge-back-light-problem.html)

silver6933 30 April 2004 11:01 AM

SPA gauge back light problem

I have MY01 WRX.

I have installed a SPA dual oil temp/pressure gauge in a on dash a pillar pod.

Both the back lights have failed and the oil temp reading at startup is negative. After approx 5 mins the reading becomes postive and is correct. I have verified the temp values via a laser thermometer.

The gauge worked perfectly on receipt. This problem developed approx 3 months after the install.

Is it possible that positioning it on the dash has caused the gauge to fail? Any suggestions would be helpful.

The SPA guys have given me a RMA number.

Regards

ozzy 30 April 2004 11:39 AM

I'm not sure, but mine has developed the exact same fault. The gauge itself works flawlessly (in the daylight ;)). The only time the oil temp read negative was on extremely cold days this winter.

I first noticed it when the backlight started to flicker. The one half failed and finally the whole lot in a few days. Haven't got round to arranging an RMA yet.

The back of the gauge has a Molex connector. This provides power, sender signal wires and the menu button. I doubt a dodgy connector would cause the backlight problem, but a loose wire may cause invalid readings from the senders.

I installed my gauge on my A-pillar, but I can't see how the location would cause the failure.

As I say, the only problem with mine is the backlight.

Stefan

ozzy 30 April 2004 11:47 AM

BTW, do you have any contact details to arrange an RMA? - I don't have any details with me at work.

Stefan

silver6933 30 April 2004 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ozzy
BTW, do you have any contact details to arrange an RMA? - I don't have any details with me at work.

Stefan

Hi

I bought mine from the states. Do you need a poc for the US people?

The problem is exactly as you described. First the rhs leds stopped working and then the entire backlight failed.

Regards

ozzy 30 April 2004 12:07 PM

It's OK, I've been in touch with SPA design in England. Tony Taylor from SPA has just mailed me back to say that I should send it to them for repair under warranty.

Stefan

Butty 30 April 2004 12:09 PM

Mine's gone back to SPA for replacement. The LHS lights started flickering then went dead after a couple of weeks - the guage had been in place for about six months up til then.
I did have a couple of problems with the oil temp reading going -ve. I tracked it down to the rubber covered connection near the sensor - it just needed some WD40 and pushing on tighter.

Nick

silver6933 04 May 2004 09:52 AM

You are right about the -ve readings. I also noticed that if you disconnect and reconnect the sensor wire the readings stablise.

I will try some contact cleaner.

Thanks you for the info.